What is a dish that you most fondly remember from you childhood?

When I was a kid, Dad was a trained and experienced Chinese chef who worked his way up from being a table waiter to head chef to running his own restaurant and take away.
We had an amazing range of meals and food types to eat.

However, probably due to that, the thing I remember most was me and my brother being woken at midnight, after the close of business, and being carefully carried down into Dad's Land Rover. We were then driven miles to the seaside and treated to a hotdog from a late night beach vendor while we watched the waves lapping the shore.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, Dad was a trained and experienced Chinese chef who worked his way up from being a table waiter to head chef to running his own restaurant and take away.
We had an amazing range of meals and food types to eat.

However, probably due to that, the thing I remember most was me and my brother being woken at midnight, after the close of business, and being carefully carried down into Dad's Land Rover. We were then driven miles to the seaside and treated to a hotdog from a late night beach vendor while we watched the waves lapping the shore.

Wow, sounds like an awesome childhood. Was it just like a normal hotdog or was there anything special about it?

Nah, hotdog was was just a plain simple boiled hotdog in a bun with onions and ketchup.
It was the whole going to get it that made it special, and also because we never had hotdogs otherwise.

Imagine being 5 years old and sent to bed at 6pm only to be randomly woken at midnight for a long drive to the sea at night for a treat. It only happened a handful of times but that made it special. :)

Nah, hotdog was was just a plain simple boiled hotdog in a bun with onions and ketchup.
It was the whole going to get it that made it special, and also because we never had hotdogs otherwise.

Imagine being 5 years old and sent to bed at 6pm only to be randomly woken at midnight for a long drive to the sea at night for a treat. It only happened a handful of times but that made it special. :)

*makes note to randomly wake NT at midnight some time and offer him a hotdog*

I think some things are better in childhood..

Actually no. There's a thing some of our cycling mates do, called the Friday Night ride to the coast. They'll leave London (or other city) at midnight, cycle all through the night, 60 miles or so, and pitch up at the coast for breakfast. I've done it a couple of times, and it's a special feeling, being out when everyone else is asleep, seeing dawn come up. And a big fried breakfast is so much better when you've earned it.

Back
Top Bottom