What is quinoa (keenwah)?

Quinoa is an ancient grain, and it has all 8 essential amino acids, so it is a complete protein. Some one posted that it tasted bad. I disagree. It doesn't have a strong flavor, slightly nutty, but blends well with just about anything.

The picture of the quinoa posted above is quinoa that has been cooked. It has a bit of a tooth to it. like very el dente pasta. It can also be eaten raw, and looks like a little round seeds.

I use quinoa in soups, in breads (uncooked) tossed in salads, in cookies and bars. My son who is diabetic uses it instead of pasta. I make a mean quinoa and cheese, too.

I love quinoa, and I'm actually eating it right now for breakfast. I cooked it with almond milk instead of water, and added blueberries.
It does have a different texture, but that's one of the things I like about it. I like the "crunch." Al dente pasta is a great analogy! It's a new food for me. I've only been eating it for a couple years.

I do have a question: Does anyone know the difference between red and white quinoa, and why you should choose one over the other?

Hi Crystal. I don't know the difference between red and white. I have only had white quinoa. Haven't had the chance to experience red quinoa. I like to steam it in chicken stock and add celery and onions to it.

Hi Crystal. I don't know the difference between red and white. I have only had white quinoa. Haven't had the chance to experience red quinoa. I like to steam it in chicken stock and add celery and onions to it.
That sounds really good! I've been thinking about eating some savory quinoa. Thanks!

I really like quinoa, but then again I also enjoy couscous, rice, grains in general. Not to get all preachy, but an interesting side effect of this sudden quinoa craze has been a steep price increase for the grain, and a very negative effect on the Peruvians and Bolivians who grow it. The staple of their diet has essentially become to expensive. I've also heard that this is an oversimplification of the situation, but it's something worth thinking about and deciding for your yourself. Sudden western and interest and demand for a product has complicated consequences...

It is a grain, exceptionally healthy LOTS of fiber, so yummy. You can use it like rice. It is good as a "pasta" salad, use it in replace of pasta. It's yummy with diced tomatoes, onions, black olives and feta.

Back
Top Bottom