What is the latest food trend you wish would go away?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
8:20 AM
Recently, I watched an episode of The Talk. As usual, at the end, they featured a guest chef. What did he do? He showed the audience (and hosts) how to bake fried chicken in the oven.

I understand that Americans are overweight. I am one of them. Yet, I do wish the trend of trying to make comfort foods healthy would go away. If I am hungry for a piece of greasy fried chicken, I don't want to eat something rolled in nuts and oven baked.

I cook for my own satisfaction and really don't pay too much attention on how healthy it could be.

Fortunately I enjoy good health and whenever I feel I'm about to fall in excess fat or keep eating certain dishes may lead me to an unhealthy stage, I stop and do something to enhance my health.

Therefore, I would like to avoid being bombarded with messages about how healthy is reduce salt and sugar intake, avoid fats and the like because if I don't obey my parent nor God, much less those media preachers wanting to teach me the way I should eat.

Definitely agree with both of you. I'm sick and tired of everything being bad for you. I eat junk food, I love my bacon in the morning, I lived for a couple of years with mostly canned food (due to circumstances, not because I wanted to) and I love eating snacks such as nachos, chips, candy etc. I also drink alcohol in it's many forms.

Yet I'm in better shape than 95% of these people telling me to stop because it's not healthy. So let's face it, I don't want or need their opinions.

I'm getting sick of hearing people gush about coconut oil. For years this was in all sorts of cheap junk food, now it's $7+ for a small jar of it and being touted as health food.

Also sick of hearing about Kale. It tastes awful and gives you major gas when you eat it, which they fail to mention. When I worked in the restaurant business, we would use Kale as a decoration in between the pans of food on the buffet line, not something in the dishes.

The "bacon in everything" trend has worn out its welcome as well.

True2marie

I really wish that deep fried food goes away, for the good of all people. I think that would take care of a lot of things, including comfort food.

I'm getting sick of hearing people gush about coconut oil. For years this was in all sorts of cheap junk food, now it's $7+ for a small jar of it and being touted as health food.

Also sick of hearing about Kale. It tastes awful and gives you major gas when you eat it, which they fail to mention. When I worked in the restaurant business, we would use Kale as a decoration in between the pans of food on the buffet line, not something in the dishes.

The "bacon in everything" trend has worn out its welcome as well.

Every single bit of this.

And I'll add to it. Gluten-free as a solution for just about everything.
Here's my thing. You're allergic or sensitive to gluten? Fine. You don't have to find a "substitute, it isn't all that hard to live without it. And you can't tell me that gluten-free donut even resembles anything close to a real donut. Sorry. Call it something else. Like, "Sort of strange sweet semi-healthy but really just a sub-par alternate to the Krispy Kreme you can't eat."

Give me a second to scour Facebook and I'm sure I'll have 3 more by the end of the night. :)

EDIT: Here we go:

- juicing and smoothies as a way to "hide" veggies for kids.

Hard to order a smoothie at a steak restaurant when you are 25 because you've only ever had your veggies blended your entire life.

I really want the gluten free craze to go away. How many people are really gluten free? Also, I want the molecular gastronomy craze to go away. Madness!

I don't mean to offend but personally I've heard enough about cleanses and gluten free diets. Sure, some people need to adhere to strict gluten diets but I personally know of quite a few people who follow a gluten free diet just because it's one of the popular "trendy" diets right now.

I really don't take too much notice of food tends. I eat what I fancy. Don't get me wrong I am not eating take away everyday. I like to cook nice tasty food. I get bored very easily.

Recently, I watched an episode of The Talk. As usual, at the end, they featured a guest chef. What did he do? He showed the audience (and hosts) how to bake fried chicken in the oven.

I understand that Americans are overweight. I am one of them. Yet, I do wish the trend of trying to make comfort foods healthy would go away. If I am hungry for a piece of greasy fried chicken, I don't want to eat something rolled in nuts and oven baked.

The over-use of BACON! This is a growing trend that I see on social media a lot. Why does everyone feel the need to add bacon to every dish? It's good, but you have to draw the line at some point. Bacon does not need to be paired with everything!

The over-use of BACON! This is a growing trend that I see on social media a lot. Why does everyone feel the need to add bacon to every dish? It's good, but you have to draw the line at some point. Bacon does not need to be paired with everything!
so I take it you don't do Bacon Jam then? :wink: (I agree with you btw)

I can understand where some people are coming from in not liking the gluten free diets as a trendy fashion choice, but don't go knocking those genuinely suffering from Coeliac Disease. There are more people out there with it than you might think and for some of them the effects are really debilitating.

Easy to just live without gluten? Yeah right: Fancy a cooked breakfast? - No sausages though, they've got gluten in. Sauce with your meal? - No, there's a strong chance it has gluten in. Fries with that? - as long as they aren't dipped in any kind of special coating. How about a chunk of chocolate as a treat? - Best check the ingredients it may well have gluten in. Have a soft drink? - Again, you'd best check the ingredients.

You'd be amazed at how many products have wheat or barley flour in them. It's not as easy as just saying "I won't have a doughnut".

Last edited:
I found out i was a Coeliac at 17 being stick thin, major hair loss and very little i could eat without stomach pain. I messed around when I was younger thinking i could cheat it and eat what i liked on a weekend but it's just not worth it. Different people have different reactions but I know within a few hours. The last bad episode was with a deli that used a small amount of flour to keep grated cheese separated. I couldn't see it on my jacket potato but within the hour I was doubled over. The pain is unbearable.

I think the idea of it helping weight loss is that it just makes you aware of what you eat. You can't just grab any fast good. It's taken me years to know where/what is safe. White flour in pepper, chips fried in the same oil as floured products, ice cream. Supermarkets are sprouting up gluten free products all over or using allergy labels which makes it easier.

For those without the allergy I guess it's just more of a low carb diet. They can link gluten to any illness but if there was enough significant proof, no one would eat it.

On food trends i've seen a lot about chicken with a can or beer/pop thrust up it's backside/neck. I think that is vulgar.

I'm just tired of everything being bad for me. Can't I just eat my 99 cent hot dog without being told I'm going to die of cancer? Can I please just eat my boxed macaroni and cheese without getting a lecture about preservatives? Yes, coconut oil is being touted as a health food right now but I give it another year before "they" are saying its now super bad for you. I'm to the point where I feel like the only thing that won't kill me or give me a horrible disease is water. Oh, but wait....should I drink tap water or bottled water? Because I'm pretty sure that one of those is supposed to cause cancer, too.

I also get tired with everyone gushing about "organic" foods. Yes, I would love to live on a farm and grow my own vegetables. However, right now, I can't do that and we are on a super tight budget. We still manage to eat healthy though, with plenty of fruits and vegetables. The difference is that I'm not going to pay twice the amount just for a bag of carrots that has the word "organic" splashed on the bag. Sorry, that's just ridiculous. I am a firm believer in balance. If you are eating healthy and exercising regularly then you are probably going to be just fine. And for goodness sakes, just eat the dang cupcake! Life's too short!

I don't really care about any of this because quite frankly if I don't like what I am hearing, reading or seeing I will just stop doing whatever I am doing. I think the truth of the matter is all of this stuff, the hot dogs, foods full of preservatives are bad for us and unfortunately most people cannot consume these items in moderation so doctors are really just telling us the facts. Personally, and I know this isn't for everyone, I started eating pretty much strictly organic and all natural and not only do I look a little better but the difference in how I feel is unbelievable. I like hearing about all of these new findings and food trends because I take the ones that I am interested in and do my own research and draw my own conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom