What is the most horrifying food you can think of?

MoniqueS

Veteran
Local time
8:29 PM
Website
youngandpennywise.tumblr.com
What is the most horrifying food you can think of?

Hands down, I'm horrified of people eating fried tarantulas, also called a-ping evidently. This dish is a delicacy in Cambodia. I can't stop cringing. Would you be able to eat this?

1-1249415956-deep-fried-tarantula-with-pepper-sauce.jpg

Hard to say. Some things can seem really awful and yet they are in fact a delicacy in another country. Our revulsion is simply a product of the culture that we live in.

I might only nibble the legs. Insects still poop, and poop is the one thing I won't eat, so if they're fried whole they've other got some in the system or they've have it starved out of them. The latter's too cruel for me to support by eating, even if I probably won't be told.

Casu Marzu cheese is the most horrifying food that I can think of. It's cheese made with live jumping flesh-eating maggots. It looks like regular cheese, though, so I might forget the description and try it, but the description is the most horrifying that I've read.

Since I'm not a bug eating person, I'm going to say that any and all bugs are horrifying to eat. I don't think there'd be any way cooked that I would eat it. Just the thought alone makes my stomach cringe.

I would never come into contact with a deep fried tarantula, so I am going to answer the question in relation to the environment in which I live. Raw fish makes my skin crawl; so sushi is definitely out. As is octopus, oysters, squid or other such nasties. *shudder*

The only shellfish I eat are prawns and lobster.

I'm not a fan of ampalaya, and it's practically one of the few food I wouldn't even dare eat. I'm not a vegetable person, but I could tolerate them - but when it comes to ampalaya, I've never liked them.

I think any dish with frogs. I just couldn't imagine how people withstand eating it (those who do). I heard a lot of people said that it tastes really well, but it is a frog. I think I'm never gonna try it. It's just that it's very much unimaginable for me.

I think any dish with frogs. I just couldn't imagine how people withstand eating it (those who do). I heard a lot of people said that it tastes really well, but it is a frog. I think I'm never gonna try it. It's just that it's very much unimaginable for me.

Oh god, yes, frogs too! Euch!

I have actually tried snail pate, which wasn't *that* bad, but definitely an acquired taste...

As cringe-worthy as all of this stuff is, it is very fascinating. Tequila worms are one thing, but there is such thing as baby mice wine in Korea. I don't even want to post a picture because it it is scary. I actually find this one quite disheartening.

I wouldn't eat any animal besides chicken or cow (and the very occasional pig).

For a food that's considered common to eat, I will never eat liver (again). There is just something wrong with eating an organ that filters out toxins. Besides that, it tastes terrible, smells terrible and looks terrible. The only reason I tried it in the first place is because you never know what you might like...

I'm not a fan of ampalaya, and it's practically one of the few food I wouldn't even dare eat. I'm not a vegetable person, but I could tolerate them - but when it comes to ampalaya, I've never liked them.

I can take its sickly bitterness, especially if there's a good chewy meat (and a LOT of bland carbs) to go with it, and in many recipes it's even stewed with scrambled eggs and tomatoes to take the edge off and give it some sweet-tartness.

One time I was sick, I forced myself to eat a few servings because I couldn't smell or taste anything anyway...I felt stronger and healthier within just hours! So now that revolting vegetable is my favorite home remedy, but of course I understand more sensitive palates.

baby mice wine

/ suppressed shriek of horror
/ no appropriate emoticon

As cringe-worthy as all of this stuff is, it is very fascinating. Tequila worms are one thing, but there is such thing as baby mice wine in Korea. I don't even want to post a picture because it it is scary. I actually find this one quite disheartening.

Hmmmm...Korea is a barbaric country - dogs and cats are eaten there too. I find it repulsive and vile.

Hmmmm...Korea is a barbaric country - dogs and cats are eaten there too. I find it repulsive and vile.

The kimchi is pretty healthy and strangely addictive, though.

As a counterpoint, many Westerners might be seen as equally barbaric for eating cows. Some non-Western cultures--nations and religions--hold cows as sacred and wise animals, and I'm sure quite a few individuals have formed a bond with living beef that can't be compatible with the animal's eventual slaughter, butchering, and consumption.

The kimchi is pretty healthy and strangely addictive, though.

As a counterpoint, many Westerners might be seen as equally barbaric for eating cows. Some non-Western cultures--nations and religions--hold cows as sacred and wise animals, and I'm sure quite a few individuals have formed a bond with living beef that can't be compatible with the animal's eventual slaughter, butchering, and consumption.

We will have to agree to disagree. Slaughtering an animal that is only on this earth because we use it for food is not the same as boiling and skinning alive a companion animal.

Back
Top Bottom