What is the Smelliest food you have prepared?

ABC123

Veteran
Local time
1:50 PM
What has been the food that prepared correctly has stunk the loudest in your home? How about prepared poorly and stunk awful? Grandma and her cabbage and potatoes were the worse. Growing up with the smell was terrible. As an adult I tried baked kale. I burned it to like ash. It made a off putting smoke smell in the house. Really turned my stomach.

How about Lynberge cheese? That stuff sinks so bad that it smells just like a dead rat that's been around for about two weeks!!!
I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 29-1/2-foot pole, much less eat it!!! :yuck::sick::stop:

I'm going to say Durian. I really wasn't prepared for the smell at all. Definitely should have been but I didn't know much about the fruit before I was 'gifted' it. I think they thought I would hate it but I actually liked the taste. Smell? Not so much.

Hakarl
Icelandic preserved shark,it will make you gag,but for a natural product durian takes some beating:sick:

When I was a kid my mom cooked some chiterlings, they were the nastiest things I have ever smelled in my life. It days for the funk to leave the house. I told her if she ever had the need to do that again to let me know so I could leave the house.

An old college flatmate used to buy frozen Admiral's pies and microwave them. They absolutely reeked! Fish pie really shouldn't smell bad at all but thiese things she would cook were absolutely rank.

When I was a kid my mom cooked some chiterlings, they were the nastiest things I have ever smelled in my life. It days for the funk to leave the house. I told her if she ever had the need to do that again to let me know so I could leave the house.

Our mom used to cook them, and so did we after leaving the nest.
We grew up eating them. She once had me cook 30lbs of them. Of course, she had to help me clean them, as it took a long time to do it! But I don't eat them now, and if so, it is far & few in between (in moderation), mainly because they are way too fatty and bad for your health!! :stop:

Red Herring was my smelliest and I have not prepared it in years but I really like it a lot. As a child it was the food many felt only the poor prepared. Sardine was also in that category. My husband and son love to eat the latter but it really stinks the place up.

I don't prepare food that stinks. If I don't like the smell of something, I certainly can not imagine I would like the taste of it. Smell is a great part of the appeal of food even before you have any visual interest in a prepared dish.

I once bought some hot dogs that were supposed to be a bargain in the local supermarket. Thirty in the box!
But when I boiled them and began to eat them, they were the nastiest tasting things this side of Pluto!!! I had to throw them all away!!! :yuck::sick::stop:

Last edited:
I don't prepare food that stinks. If I don't like the smell of something, I certainly can not imagine I would like the taste of it. Smell is a great part of the appeal of food even before you have any visual interest in a prepared dish.

That is so true, our senses of taste and smell are very closely linked so an unpleasant smell can really put us off eating something. The smelliest thing I probably cook with is garlic but I don't find that unpleasant.

Octopus is another thing that I will not cook at all! I used to have to cook this when I worked for a catering company in one of their cafeteria accounts. It was boiled. And it created such a stench that made me feel so sick to my stomach!! :yuck: :sick: :stop:

Last edited:
I have heard that Durian smells like garbage, but I have never tried or smelled it before.

The smelliest thing that I have made recently were some whiskey braised carrots for Thanksgiving dinner. My mother in law gave me a recipe and asked that I cook them up and bring them to dinner to help her out, I gladly accepted. Everything was going fine as I cooked the carrots, but then it was time to add some Jack Daniels and brown sugar to make the sauce. I am not a fan of whiskey and the warm smell of it is even worse. My whole house smelled like whiskey for days and I almost became physically ill because of it. Everyone at dinner commented on how wonderful the carrots turned out, but I did not take a single bite because my stomach was turning so bad.

Octopus is another thing that I will not cook at all! I used to have to cook this when I worked for a catering company in one of their cafeterior accounts. It was boiled. And it created such a stench that made me feel so sick to my stomach!! :yuck: :sick: :stop:

Wow! I would not like that. I never knew that octopus had such a strong odor. I've only ever seen it served raw in sushi restaurants and it was pretty odorless (and almost tasteless). I don't care for the texture of raw octopus so it's not something I indulge in, unlike squid.

Back
Top Bottom