What is the Smelliest food you have prepared?

That is so true, our senses of taste and smell are very closely linked so an unpleasant smell can really put us off eating something. The smelliest thing I probably cook with is garlic but I don't find that unpleasant.

I LOVE the smell of garlic! It smells so amazing when you heat it in olive oil. It tastes pretty darn good as well when sauteed in quality olive oil with fresh herbs and vegetables. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it, lol!

Take the red herring I mentioned. This smell is pungent but not pungent in a way that would turn me off. I think lots of people just did not cook it as it was thought to be a poor person's food and the smell would linger way too long. Now we are talking about it I actually think I should pick some up. It is soooo tasty if prepared well. It's worth the strong smell.

Take the red herring I mentioned. This smell is pungent but not pungent in a way that would turn me off. I think lots of people just did not cook it as it was thought to be a poor person's food and the smell would linger way too long. Now we are talking about it I actually think I should pick some up. It is soooo tasty if prepared well. It's worth the strong smell.

Yeah, also, do not buy any seafood that has a foul smell to it.
Seafood, all of it, should have a fresh clean just-caught smell. Anything other than that is probably an indication that the stuff has been around too long, and could be dangerous to eat! :eek:

I think it would be durian. We have a lot of durian tree in our backyard and you will really know if a fruit is ripe because of its peculiar and distinctive smell. Durian fruit is often qouted as " A fruit that smells like hell but tastes like heaven".

I don't prepare food that stinks. If I don't like the smell of something, I certainly can not imagine I would like the taste of it. Smell is a great part of the appeal of food even before you have any visual interest in a prepared dish.

I agree, if I can stand the smell of the food I know I will not be able to eat the food. One of the first things I do when trying something new to eat is smell it if the smell is off so am I.

The foods that I've mentioned above IS a DEFINITE turn-off for me.
In no way will I eat octopus, eels or bugs!!! :mad::yuck::sick::stop:

I agree, if I can stand the smell of the food I know I will not be able to eat the food. One of the first things I do when trying something new to eat is smell it if the smell is off so am I.

Interestingly enough, I can't abide the smell of fresh papaya (OMG!), but I do like the dried spears. I've been wanting to get some green papaya for salad, but I'm not sure if it has the same benefits to digestion.

The foods that I've mentioned above IS a DEFINITE turn-off for me.
In no way will I eat octopus, eels or bugs!!! :mad::yuck::sick::stop:

I am done with octopus, but I had some eel recently in a roll at a sushi restaurant that changed my mind. As for insects, that's not even up for discussion.

Interestingly enough, I can't abide the smell of fresh papaya (OMG!), but I do like the dried spears. I've been wanting to get some green papaya for salad, but I'm not sure if it has the same benefits to digestion.

As for insects, that's not even up for discussion.

Not even a sliver!! :yuck: :sick: :stop:

When I was a kid my mom cooked some chiterlings, they were the nastiest things I have ever smelled in my life. It days for the funk to leave the house. I told her if she ever had the need to do that again to let me know so I could leave the house.
My neighbor cooks them all the time, they stink up the whole building.
How do they taste? I have a hard time not vomiting when he cooks them.

we used to boil up tripe for the dogs years ago but kept the mank outside!!!

A friend of mine sometimes cooks that in tomato sauce. He offered some of it to me. I told him to be greedy!
I don't eat that either! Never tried it, never will!! :yuck: :sick: :stop:

tripe and onions is a north of England delicacy ,not my thing,
tripe-and-onions.jpg

looks wrong ,smells wrong,and tastes wrong!!

Back
Top Bottom