What is your current "read"?

Started yesterday
1609775278826.png

Sharing something really special here. I love old books and this is probably the oldest one I have. It belonged to one of my mom's aunts. Standley was her husband and he was a British diplomat. Apparently he got this as a gift while stationed in Recife, Brazil.
image_from_ios (1).jpg

image_from_ios-1 (1).jpg

image_from_ios-2 (1).jpg

I've just started reading William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury today. It's widely regarded as one of the 20th century's finest novels, so I felt somewhat obliged to read it. The only Faulkner novel I've read is Absalom, Absalom. I can't say I was overly enthused by it. As for the latest I've started, too early to say, although it's striking me as a bit weird from the first few pages.

In my work we have a chat group for the bookworms. One of my colleagues was commenting how most books he reads are children books now that he's a father. This brought me memories of my favorite childhood book, Anita Mamã, originally called Martine Petite Maman in french. Anita is a small girl who spends the day looking after her baby brother on her own. It's a really sweet book (I've always loved babies).

I've got to keep most of my childhood books. If I ever have children they will inherit my books and I will read them for them. Unless they don't like books in which case I will have to put the children up for adoption.

1610114241617.png

Half way through The Sound and The Fury. Not quite as bewildered as I was at the start, but not a great deal the wiser. There are four sections - the first is from a day in 1926, then we jump back to 1910. The third is the day before the first section and the final part is the day after the first. There's a lot of jumping back and forth between time, often in the middle of sentences. There's also a lot of unpunctuated stuff, rather as you get at the end of Ulysses. Not exactly easy reading. I have the feeling that when I finish, I'm going to need to read it again to see if I make any more sense of it.

I am reading a lengthy and hefty history book that I read almost thirty years ago. It was one of the many books I've given away or lost in transit over the years, so when I saw a cheap copy for sale, I thought I'd buy it and read it again. The book is by Thomas Pakenham (brother of Frank Pakenham, perhaps better known as Long Longford). It's called The Scramble for Africa, so the subject is self-evident. Like most of what Europeans have done in Africa, it's an unseemly and sorry saga of exploitation, cruelty and self-interest. A very well researched and written piece of work, however.

Thursday Murder Club; which is ok (not sure it’s living up to the hype), but I’m having terrible problems concentrating. Only managing a few pages at a time.

Thursday Murder Club; which is ok (not sure it’s living up to the hype), but I’m having terrible problems concentrating. Only managing a few pages at a time.
I've been having the same issue for a while now

Just finished this one. Agatha Christie always does it for me when I'm on a reading slump. It's so sad that I've read most of her books by now.
1612103827772.png

Back
Top Bottom