What is your current "read"?

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
7:43 PM
I am a voracious reader - sporadically. Or, more to the point, seasonally. I'm a cozy mystery addict, especially those that have recipes included. It's interesting to see someone's reaction when they taste a certain food, say they like it, and ask what the recipe is. When I tell them I got the recipe from a murder mystery, it usually stops them in mid-chew. :laugh:

I do read other types of books. I just finished an interesting non-fiction called "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks". The subject matter deals with growing human cells in a laboratory, cancer research, medical ethics...and a family. Although it is a non-fiction book, it read like a fast-paced novel.

I also have two books on my stack, a large-print James Patterson non-fiction, "The murder of King Tut : the plot to kill the child king" for when I'm pedaling away on my stationery bike, and "Banana Cream Pie Murder", a cozy mystery with food.

I also have a stack of magazines for those times I want to read a page or two, and that's all the time I have!

What are you currently reading? What are your favorite reads?

I've never heard the term cozy mystery! I read only murder mystery - currently Ann Cleeves. I simply cannot sit and read a book so I only read when eating! This means a book lasts me ages. What I do sit and read is cookery books, however,

Although I have a collection of books which are all read, I have stopped buying hard copies. Ebooks (in my case on Kindle) are far more user friendly to my deteriorating eyes and I'm currently reading Jo Nesbo's latest offering - "The Thirst". I also have periods of extensive reading (one book in two days) and then a lapse into a week or two of not even opening a book.

I really like this thread @Lynne Guinne ... I have to admit you've anticipated me because I wanted to create it .. you've been faster than me! :happy: well done.
Well, I'm a voracious reader too, ever since I was a child. Paper books, not online or kindle, personally I do not love them at all. I have a pretty stocked bookcase in my house, because my husband also reads many books. Those I prefer are literature books, I like classics and books on the theater/screenplay, but I love also authors such as Ginsberg or Kerouac or Arthur Miller. After dinner, I always try to dedicate a bit to reading, even a short essay or a story. Right now I'm reading Robert Capa's book "Slightly out of focus".

At the moment really nothing, but I just finished "I married a best seller" by Shelia Hailey. (Ebook).
Hollywood Moon by Joseph Wambaugh. His non-fiction is better. And Chicken Soup for the Sister's Soul.

Stephen King. *shudder* His books scare the daylights out of me, Lulla!

...Right now I'm reading Robert Capa's book "Slightly out of focus".
Checked this out on Barnes and Noble. Sounds interesting. I'll have to add it to my already-too-long list on my library account. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've never heard the term cozy mystery! I read only murder mystery...
A cozy mystery doesn't have any blood or graphic details that some murder mysteries include. The story lines are a bit more "fluff", but someone always ends up dead! They are usually quick reads, too. I'm never able to devote an entire day to just sitting and reading, but I am able to charge my way through a cozy in two short evenings. One of my favorite authors is Laura Childs. She writes three different series: a tea shop proprietress based in Charleston, South Carolina; a scrapbooking shop owner in New Orleans, and a small town cafe/bookshop/knitting shop owner located somewhere in the U. S. heartland.

If you like gripping murder mysteries and don't mind blood and gore (but appropriate and important to the story line), I can suggest Linda Castillo's "Kate Burkholder" mystery series. They are gripping, the story line is tight and detailed...and the one book I read is where I found out what the term "exsanguination" meant...and details on how to perform one. :stop: One of these days I will go back and read the rest - yes, they're that good.

Checked this out on Barnes and Noble. Sounds interesting. I'll have to add it to my already-too-long list on my library account. Thanks for the suggestion.

20170526_081132.jpg

A cozy mystery doesn't have any blood or graphic details that some murder mysteries include. The story lines are a bit more "fluff", but someone always ends up dead! They are usually quick reads, too. I'm never able to devote an entire day to just sitting and reading, but I am able to charge my way through a cozy in two short evenings. One of my favorite authors is Laura Childs. She writes three different series: a tea shop proprietress based in Charleston, South Carolina; a scrapbooking shop owner in New Orleans, and a small town cafe/bookshop/knitting shop owner located somewhere in the U. S. heartland.

If you like gripping murder mysteries and don't mind blood and gore (but appropriate and important to the story line), I can suggest Linda Castillo's "Kate Burkholder" mystery series. They are gripping, the story line is tight and detailed...and the one book I read is where I found out what the term "exsanguination" meant...and details on how to perform one. :stop: One of these days I will go back and read the rest - yes, they're that good.
I'll check your references out. Thanks!

"Against The Wind", Yazuyki Ozeki.
Peddaling for a pint(What else but Guinness) from Japan to Ireland.

Various family trees, a few science periodicals.

I am not entirely sure if he is a genius or in need of help :laugh: eitherway some of his stuff is cracking. The Green Mile is 1 of the most amazing books I have ever read, then I watched the film which left me in a flood of tears amazing piece of work.

Have you read the Jack Daniels series by JA Konrath?

I get mainly audiobooks these days, either bought or from our local library. I prefer crime, historical fiction (such as the Shardlake or Giordano Bruno books), or a good horror story (such as ones by Shaun Hutson). Most of the Stephen King books bore me half to death, and I've only actually managed to finish two of them (Christine and Misery).

At the moment I am actually reading a proper book - The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. This one's a paperback and the print is a bit larger than average. I've got all 11 of his Harry Hole books, and the first two and the next four are audiobooks.

Back
Top Bottom