What is your current "read"?

Just returned "The Smell of Burning", George Grant.

Trying to fit the past in with what was going on at the time. Made for awkward reading.

Another Scandinavian writer (who unfortunately did not live long enough to write more than a handfull of books) - Stieg Larsson I found interesting.

47194206_jacketmontage_466.jpg

Have you read the fourth book? It took a little bit of getting used to because it was so long after the others were published and (obviously) it was by a different author, but after the first couple of chapters it proved an excellent read.

th.jpg

Have you read the fourth book? It took a little bit of getting used to because it was so long after the others were published and (obviously) it was by a different author, but after the first couple of chapters it proved an excellent read.

View attachment 7416

No I have not - But I shall search it out.

I found out I have a little catching up to do with a couple of books in a series I follow. I just got Joanne Fluke's "Wedding Cake Murder" from the library a couple days ago. I think there is one other book between this one and the most recent in the series. I've not been keeping up on my series reading, and now all these authors have a head start on me again! Off to read...

I've just finished "Bryant and May - The Burning Man" by Christopher Fowler. Excellent story with lots of twists and turns. And it even mentions Brixton market @creative and says it isn't like it used to be :laugh:

BTW I'm still reading "The Snowman", but this is a print book, whereas "The Burning Man" is an audio book. I often have two or maybe even three books on the go at the same time, as I can listen to the audiobooks when I'm cooking or am in the bath, and can save the print books for when I'm half watching TV or am relaxing on the sofa :D

Last edited:
I have just started reading Little Dorrit, so that is my fifteenth Dickens' novel underway. Just Bleak House to go and I'll have read every novel of Dickens, including the unfinished Edwin Drood.

A quick check of my bookshelves tells me I've read nine novels by Anthony Trollope, but reading all of them might be a little testing as he wrote something like 76, I believe.

I have just started reading Little Dorrit, so that is my fifteenth Dickens' novel underway. Just Bleak House to go and I'll have read every novel of Dickens, including the unfinished Edwin Drood.

A quick check of my bookshelves tells me I've read nine novels by Anthony Trollope, but reading all of them might be a little testing as he wrote something like 76, I believe.

Well. I'm receipt of the Pickwick Papers but have yet to begin... as for Trollope, I heard one of his books serialised on Radio 4 and I was surprised to find I quite enjoyed it (can't remember which one). However, I have noticed before that I can listen to books on the radio which I find difficult to read.

Last edited:
The Barchester series accounts for six of the Trollope novels I've read. The one I've enjoyed most, though, is The Way We Live Now. I defy any British person of a certain age to read that and not think of Robert Maxwell when they encounter Melmotte, the main character.

Well. I'm receipt of the Pickwick Papers but have yet to begin... as for Trollope, I heard one of his books serialised on Radio 4 and I was surprised to find I quite enjoyed it (can't remember which one). However, I have noticed before that I can listen to books on the radio which I find difficult to read.
Same here. Some audiobooks are very easy to listen to, much better than trying to read, but a lot of it depends on the narrator. Audible also do their own dramas, some of which I have never seen in book form. They are usually excellent but, in the rare event that you really don't like something, you can send it back and choose something else :D
I really enjoyed watching Dickensian too. Such a good introduction to the Dickens stories. Such a shame that they have dropped plans to make another series.

Same here. Some audiobooks are very easy to listen to, much better than trying to read, but a lot of it depends on the narrator...
I've tried to enjoy audiobooks, but they just don't do anything for me. My problem is that the narrator rarely has the same voice quality as the voices in my head do. (Yup, I said that! :laugh: ) When I read, I can hear each character with their own particular speech pattern, tonal quality, etc. Also, to me reading is very tactile. I like the heft of a book, the smooth pages, and all. Holding a book (or, I suppose, a tablet) is a little like a romantic interlude, a visit with a lover. Audiobooks are...well phone sex. :eek: Although, to be perfectly clear, I would not know from personal experience! :bookworm:

I've tried to enjoy audiobooks, but they just don't do anything for me. My problem is that the narrator rarely has the same voice quality as the voices in my head do. (Yup, I said that! :laugh: ) When I read, I can hear each character with their own particular speech pattern, tonal quality, etc. Also, to me reading is very tactile. I like the heft of a book, the smooth pages, and all. Holding a book (or, I suppose, a tablet) is a little like a romantic interlude, a visit with a lover. Audiobooks are...well phone sex. :eek: Although, to be perfectly clear, I would not know from personal experience! :bookworm:
A beautifully written post. :)

I am reading My Life in France by Julia Child. Unless they could get her to do the audio, it wouldn't work for me.
*She died before the book was published.

I have problems reading books - even some large print books have print too small for my eyes. I do have a decent pair of reading glasses but even they can't cope with some small print and also they make everything else in the room seem blurry. They work best with a bright light at one side, but my eyes don't like light either (I suffer from photophobia and other eye problems. Vision problems can usually be corrected, but not the others I'm afraid). I do read eBooks, PDFs, and Kindle books but they are better on my laptop because I can make the print larger than on a reader or tablet, but it is not always convenient. Even though I am hard of hearing, audiobooks (and TV programmes) on my phone remain my best option unless I am using a decent pair of headphones or my loop system. They do take a bit of getting used to though.

Back
Top Bottom