What is your current "read"?

I'd like to read that too. There was a film about her wasn't there?
According to the book yes.
Now I don't recommend Julie and Julia.
That author either loves sex or needs sex. She has an obsession with the F word and I don't mean food.
I had to give up on that book.

I am reading My Life in France by Julia Child. Unless they could get her to do the audio, it wouldn't work for me.
*She died before the book was published.
Funnily enough, authors reading their own books rarely works, except for text books and lectures. A lot of famous actors read audiobooks these days and most of them are superb. I have never read the book you mention, so I can't comment on that one, but there are some books which will never translate into audio. One of my daughter's friends got "Fifty Shades of Grey" as an audio book (!) and could not get on with it at all - mind you the film is crap too :laugh:

Funnily enough, authors reading their own books rarely works, except for text books and lectures. A lot of famous actors read audiobooks these days and most of them are superb. I have never read the book you mention, so I can't comment on that one, but there are some books which will never translate into audio. One of my daughter's friends got "Fifty Shades of Grey" as an audio book (!) and could not get on with it at all - mind you the film is crap too :laugh:
Your Fifty Shades comment gave me a giggle. I am betting it is a translation thing but you just said your daughter's friend couldn't have sex with the audio book. Here it would be couldn't get into it.

And now that we are all giggling, I would venture to say that is why she couldn't finish the book.

I have all three Fifty shades books in ebook form. I haven't read but about a chapter.
If I want good BDSM, I will look in the erotic section at Amazon.
If I want romance, I will ask for recommendations over at the other forum I hang out in.
I don't do a***** males pretending to be Doms.

I have all three Fifty shades books in ebook form. I haven't read but about a chapter.
If I want good BDSM, I will look in the erotic section at Amazon.
If I want romance, I will ask for recommendations over at the other forum I hang out in.
I don't do a***** males pretending to be Doms.
It was the funniest set of books I'd read in years!

It was the funniest set of books I'd read in years!
Thanks for the humor recommendation. Appreciated. It will be on my list after Julia, Rue (of the Golden Girls) and my latest J D ROBB.

Part of the pleasure of reading a book, for me at least, is letting my imagination interpret things; what characters look like, what they sound like, how places look and feel, those kind of things. Audiobooks take all of that away. This is just my preference, obviously. People prefer different things and that's fine by me.

If I am going to read the book and watch the fillum also, I always try and read the book first.

In film the characters are hardly ever as you imagined them reading the book. "Catch 22" was a perfect example for me. I read the book twice before I saw the fillum. I have now read the book two and a half times (I left it on an airplane). I do have a new hard copy.

Have you read the fourth book? It took a little bit of getting used to because it was so long after the others were published and (obviously) it was by a different author, but after the first couple of chapters it proved an excellent read.

View attachment 7416

I've now downloaded it and may start it when I've finished the latest Jo Nesbo (I get very confused when reading two books at the same time)

I've caught up on the library books I borrowed. Now, while waiting for my next requests to arrive at our town library for pick-up, I'll be working over my stack of magazines.

I think the only audio book I have really ever listened to is now banned from being played in the car.
Its a fascinating subject, read by the Author. It is just he reads it at the same pace, in the same tone, never varying. It is very matter of fact with many laughs to be had and you do listen to it and laugh out loud but and this is the big but, the pace and tone are such that it sends you to sleep. It is 6 CDs long. I know because when we first got it, it came on CD and we had to rip it. We still love the subject - its a science background one. It is one you can turn on at any chapter on any CD and pick up on but both my husband and I can be asleep before the first chapter has been listened to. We are still listening to it 6 years on. And if we are ever needing sleep and can't get to sleep, we just put it on. Hence banning it from the car.

That's great for you, @Yorky! I didn't know who Tom Sharpe was, checked out a Wilt book teaser on Goodreads, and thought I might like to read him. However, just like recipes to cook, I have way more books on my "to read" list than I have grains of sand in my hourglass of life. However, I did add his "Wilt" to my list at the library.

I Have the next Joanne Fluke ready to read: Christmas Caramel Murder". I fully realize I'm reading it out of season, but I have another one or two books to fully catch up on the series and I don't want to wait five months to read it. I'll just read while in the basement and pretend it's snowing outside.

That's great for you, @Yorky! I didn't know who Tom Sharpe was, checked out a Wilt book teaser on Goodreads, and thought I might like to read him. However, just like recipes to cook, I have way more books on my "to read" list than I have grains of sand in my hourglass of life. However, I did add his "Wilt" to my list at the library.

His anti-apartheid books are very funny ("Riotous Assembly" and "Indecent Exposure"). He was deported from South Africa for his anti-apartheid views and writings.

https://www.facebook.com/Tom-Sharpe-864407393615987/

As I approach the end of Little Dorrit, there is the temptation of something shorter and lighter. Perhaps time for a bit of Wodehouse.

I am a latecomer to Wodehouse, but I am trying to catch up. I have been through a few of the Jeeves and Wooster novels, ventured to Blandings and spent some time in the company of Psmith, so I have tried a range of the offerings.

The only problem I find, speaking as the author of a so-called humorous novel, is that Wodehouse, like Flann O'Brien and Tom Sharpe, is several billion light years ahead of what I could ever hope to achieve.

Back
Top Bottom