Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Venison

• Other

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don't eat red meat

• Total voters
I do, occasionally. Can't say it's a favourite food, however.
Caseydog is right; the capybara is the largest member of the rodent family.
The meat actually tasted a little sweet to me. Not bad at all!

I was waiting for, "Tastes like chicken." :laugh:

Some people in Texas and Louisiana eat Nutria. They are not as large as Capybara, but still quite large.

1693003296402.png

I don't care what it tastes like, it's still a rat.

CD

My favorite beef are:
Steak – I love strip steak medium rare.
Roast: Eye round roast medium rare.

I have a Akaushi* NY Strip drying in the mini-fridge right now, for tonight or tomorrow.

CD

*This is a Korean breed of cattle that is also raised in South Texas. It is similar to Wagyu.

Lamb when i can get it. It's pricey here in Singapore as well (normally from NZ or Oz) so I usually wait till it's on offer or reduced - in fact I'm having lamb today! My wife doesn't like lamb which is slightly annoying as I always have to make her an alternative.

What is sold as 'mutton' in Singapore is actually goat meat (not sheep) and I get it when I'm cooking curry; that's readily available (though still quite expensive) in an area here called 'Little india'. I precook about 2kg of it and freeze it ready for when I want to cook Indian meals.

Yes, I love all kinds of beef - most of what we get here is Australian. My favourite steak is a ribeye and I am not super keen on the strips, sirloins and filets (totally void of taste if you ask me. but my wife likes those) - I like me some fat! I've eaten Kobe beef in Japan (actually in Kobe in a place imaginatively called 'Steakland'!) and that's awesome. but you can't eat that much of it - it's like eating a stick of butter it's so rich. Decent Japanese imported wagyu is available here and I get it occasionally. When I'm making burgers I get fresh ground Aussie 80/20 chuck from a Swiss butcher here - it costs a lot more than supermarket ground beef but the difference in taste is enormous so it's worth it.

How can a meateater not like pork? It's so versatile! I get through quite a bit of shoulder/butt pork round here - it works great for many things.

Yada yada I like all the rest too, though I've only eaten venison once or twice and found it dry and uninspiring though I expect that was to do with the cut/preparation.

Other 'red' meats I've eaten: kangaroo, horse, whale,

What is sold as 'mutton' in Singapore is actually goat meat (not sheep) and I get it when I'm cooking curry..........

Back in the 90s we went to a house warming in Kuala Lumpur and the house owner's mate who was cooking the food was a junior chef in one of the 5* hotels (Legend, I think). Anyway, the main course was mutton curry. Whether it was sheep or goat I don't know but it was the best curry I'd had outside India (and better than many I'd had inside India).

Well, it may be that I am not good at cooking pork but I always find it bland and prone to dryness. If I cook pork chops I find it difficult to render the fat without overcooking the meat.

A lot depends on the cut. The redder, fattier cuts like the shoulder/butt are very hard to dry out. That's what is used to make American BBQ pulled pork. It cooks for several hours at a low temperature (250-275F/121-135C) on a smoker. It is very forgiving, and hard to overcook.

The "white meat" pork, like pork loin and tenderloin is very easy to overcook, making it dry and tough. Sous vide is great for those cuts. I set the water bath for 136F/58C, and cook those for at least three hours. The long cook time makes sure the meat is safely cooked, but still a tiny bit pink. That makes it really moist and tender.

Sous vide is good for pork chops, too. The only fat to render is around the edges. There is no significant intramuscular fat. I sous vide them at 140F/60C for 90 minutes. I very quickly sear the cooked meat, especially the fatty edges.

1693085923864.jpeg

CD

Well, it may be that I am not good at cooking pork but I always find it bland and prone to dryness. If I cook pork chops I find it difficult to render the fat without overcooking the meat.

I'm not a fan of traditional British-style pork chops myself - prone to dryness as you say... even a tenderloin can be touch and go, so you're right, some cuts take some skill.

Back
Top Bottom