What is your pet peeve in the kitchen?

firelily99

Veteran
Local time
10:38 AM
I know that cooks can get a bit territorial in the kitchen. I really cannot stand dull knives or things that are put away in the wrong place. What gets you annoyed in the kitchen?

My husband will come in whilst I am cooking and start tidying up and washing things. the next time I put my hands down for something like a knife or a certain bowl with the intention to reuse it, it will have gone and either be in the washing up bowl in dirty water, or on the draining board... annoys me endlessly!

Otherwise it is him storing pots & pans on the gas hob rather than putting them away in the cupboard or (and this is apparently one of his mother's bad habits according to my father-in-law) shutting but not completely shutting a drawer/cupboard leaving it open by a couple of cm's.

Oh and people who do not hang the T-towel back up after they have finished using it, or leave the dish cloth full of water and wet on the draining board! Yuck!

(I am sure I must annoy him as well, its just he doesn't post here :D)

Edit: typo corrected

Last edited:
I can understand why those things annoy you because they bug me too. Once I am at it in the kitchen I just want to be left alone and NOT have anyone touch anything that I am using. What really bugs me is when someone wipes up a spill on the floor with a dish cloth or sponge and then puts it back on the counter. Ugh! Why not use the dish cloth to clean the toilet why you are at it?

My most annoying pet peeve is everyone in the kitchen with me! I can't stand having kids play in the kitchen or my husband trying to take over while im busy prepping and cooking. I tell the hubby he's on man duty when I'm cooking(and that means stay out of the kitchen or no supper! Lol)

Something that really bugs me, and it's not even cooking related, but kitchen related, is when I'm washing the dishes and someone is either trying to wash something else in my sink at the same time, or trying to grab something from the sink. I hate it when I have my hands wet, soap on the dishes and have to wait around for someone else before I wash things! If I'm washing the dishes, the sink is mine and nobody touches it!

I get annoyed when the kitchen is dirty or messy by the time I need to use it. I want to have as much space as possible when I'm cooking, and I really dislike feeling cramped when I have tons of ingredients to manage. Also, leaving things messy and dirty is just unsanitary and not at all a good environment for food preparation.

My pet peeve comes after the meal is over. If someone puts a dish in the sink and it still has sizable chunks of food on it. Seriously?? Scrape that into the trash please. Or if someone puts a glass on the counter that they're done with but it still has some of the drink left. I may let that slide if you were drinking water but other than that, you could have at least poured it out!

I really just hate it when I am in the kitchen cooking and it seems that everyone in the house decides that is the moment to come to retrieve something from the kitchen. Be it a snack or something to drink the hubby and the kids are all guilty of this. Our kitchen is not very big and the stove, sink and fridge are all within 3 feet of each other. It makes for cramped quarters when someone else is trying to do something while I am cooking.

I hate to be cooking and have my boyfriend come and peep under the lids. It really bugs me! I don't know why he can't just wait until I'm done instead of waltzing in to open lids peeping and smelling at the food!

I would rather be left alone when cooking. I hate it when someone comes in the kitchen and has to see what I am doing. They should be lucky I decided to cook and feed them. :D

My pet peeve comes after the meal is over. If someone puts a dish in the sink and it still has sizable chunks of food on it. Seriously?? Scrape that into the trash please. Or if someone puts a glass on the counter that they're done with but it still has some of the drink left. I may let that slide if you were drinking water but other than that, you could have at least poured it out!
I hate that too. If you put it in dishwater it makes your water dirty before you even use it.

I want to be left alone when I cook and I have to have a clean work space when I start. My kitchen is small so I do wash dishes as I go in order to give myself as much space as possible.

As I cook all day being a professional chef I find it hard to cook at home as I can never find what I need! Want a pinch of saffron ,can only find 10 packets of cereals,but the over day I auctioned my time for the evening and a family with a proper big posh kitchen,won and all he time I was there he would keep wiping down his vast slabs of granite ,polishing his p/p induction stove,sorting out any food waste for his worm farm,he was just getting in the way,it's hard enough being subservient for me in that situation any way:mad:

Back
Top Bottom