What kind of beverages can diabetics drink?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
6:34 AM
My brother was diagnosed with diabetes type II about a year ago. Since, he's been struggling to change his diet. His biggest issue is with beverages - what to drink.

Does anyone know what beverages are best for a diabetic?

My father was a diabetic and as what his doctor said he should avoid drinking soda colas, alcohol and preserved fruit juices with high sugar contents. Drinking coffee is only once in a while now for him. He is already avoiding all of these and just drink water all the time and sometimes teas as his beverage. Because even if you are taking a medicine for diabetes if you are drinking beverages with high sugar content it is useless and your sugar level will not be elevated as it should be.

Well, the general rule is diabetics shouldn't eat or drink anything with sugar on it. But of course, if you drink something like orange juice or grape juice, even if there's no sugar added, there is still natural sugar from the fruit which is fructose.
my aunt is diabetic and she will have everything with sweetener. You can try to find 1 that you prefer and drink stuff like coffee and milk with it instead of sugar. I don't see how stuff like Diet Coke would harm a diabetic either, Diet Coke has no sugar.

Many healthy type drinks are loaded with sugar. Unsweetened ice tea, water flavored with lemon slices and/or cucumber slices. Probably the healthiest drink is water. I don't believe artificial sweeteners will cause problems. Stevia is a natural sweetener.

Your best bet is to drink water or unsweetened tea. Buy tea bags or loose leaf teas and brew them yourself. My favorite is cold brew tea. I just get a pitcher of water and soak 4 bags in them over night. The process is slower than hot brewing, but it tastes less bitter.

I'm bad as I drink a lot of diet soda. I know we can't drink fruit juice and I don't drink anything warm. I don't even like cold tea. My parents got me the Primo, the generic Soda Stream, for Christmas, but we've been having problems replacing its CO2. I like that even though it's pretty much water and I don't like water, even when it's flavored LOL I think I'm addicted to the bubbles in drinks if that makes any sense.

I drink coffee with sugar-free sweetener or syrup (I know, I know) and I use half and half instead of milk (fat-free half and half, regular milk has too many carbs for me). I make iced coffee and so I need it to taste a little sweet! I stick with lemon water and unsweetened iced tea (sweetened with fastee). I try to not drink that much soda but if I do, it's of the diet variety. If I have one can of regular soda, my BG levels shoot up past 200 and I'll feel like passing out. So I stick with low carb/ sugar-free drinks. Oh and I really never drink alcohol.

I love unsweetened iced tea because you can flavor it how you want. My favorite is to put peach wedges in it. This adds only natural sugars. There are plenty of unsweetened drinks on the market, but the contain so many unnatural ingredients. Your body is not meant to process all those other ingredients which lead to kidney disease.

My mother has type II diabetes. She no longer drinks sodas and other sugary drinks. She drinks water most of the time. :) She sometimes drinks tea and coffee.

He should stick with organic beverages or fruit juices like sour sop, cranberry and the not-so-sweet varieties. He can cut back on his sugar levels by exercising and drinking Bitter Gourd tea. If he wants to drink softdrinks, he may want to go for RC cola and those beverages that use Stevia in lieu of sugar. You can't recommend him any beverage with aspartame as this ingredient can trigger cancer.

Many healthy type drinks are loaded with sugar. Unsweetened ice tea, water flavored with lemon slices and/or cucumber slices. Probably the healthiest drink is water. I don't believe artificial sweeteners will cause problems. Stevia is a natural sweetener.

The healthiest thing to drink IS water. Water helps curve your hunger for something that might be unhealthy to eat or drink.

For soda, I mainly drink Diet Pepsi though. :wink:

My father is also diabetic. For breakfast he drinks tea with some Stevia. And all throughout the day he consumes way too much coke zero (almost as much as water)

But I guess it's better than regular coke. :D

Have some diabetics in our family and the best substitute is diet soda. That, and make sure to stock up on boxes of artificial sweeteners so you could make some of your more traditional drinks sans the sugar. You could try making sweet lemonade or sweet iced teas.

The number one thing here everyone is suppose to be drinking, wether you're sick or not is water. Say it with me people...........water!!

Everything else is made of salt, sugar, gluten, and processed crap.

My brother was diagnosed with diabetes type II about a year ago. Since, he's been struggling to change his diet. His biggest issue is with beverages - what to drink.

Does anyone know what beverages are best for a diabetic?
Well as most of us know, water is the best thing to drink for various reasons. If you don't like water, try coconut water which some say is even better than water. Next would be fresh juice from a juicer. Packaged fruit juices are loaded with sugar and other junk, not recommended. The third option would be fresh brewed tea.

Back
Top Bottom