What kind of music do you like?

man i have been playing that song for over 30 years , its considered a steel guitar classic
the very first song i learned to play was " mansion on the hill" i its an old hank williams tune but man it sounds beautiful played on the steel, i think " together again" was the 2nd thing i learned to play
i wish this new generation of musicians would learn to play the pedal steel, there just not enough of us old players left, there is a few new players but this new generation doesn't want to take the time to learn to play any instrument let alone one as complex as the pedalsteel

Last edited:
if you geta chance listen to a pedal steel instrumental of Gene Watsons " farewell party " it is another pedal steel great

man i have been playing that song for over 30 years , its considered a steel guitar classic
When I was a kid, I hated steel guitar, because I heard a lot of earlier players, like ‘50’s players, and it always sounded so thin and too…tropical, like slack key guitar.

Then I heard Brumley’s break on Owens’ “Tender Loving Care” - the lyrics and melody are pretty run-of-the-mill, Buck probably knocked it out in his sleep, but that steel…it moved me, and for the first time, I knew what people meant when they said, “…the cry of a steel guitar,” because he nursed all this sorrow and sadness out of it that just broke my heart.

Since then, I’ve loved to hear a good steel player.

the pedalsteel is hard for new musicians to get started on for several reasons
one being money, even a student model will cost at least $13-1400
then you have to have a volume pedal $100-250
a decent tuner $150-250
i use a special amp thats made just for the steel guitar $500.00+
then the bar and picks add another $100.00
and thats just to get started !!!
the blue guitar you see me playing in the picture cost me $ 3800.00 fifteen years ago .
and another thing to consider is that over 90% of the people that try to learn to play simply quit before they can even play one song . by the time they realize how much time and pratice is required , they get frustrated and give up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom