What kind of music do you like?

Same with me as to variety - people are shocked sometimes to learn I like medieval monk chants…and bluegrass…and disco. Yesterday featured a lot of Earth, Wind, and Fire. Just felt like I needed a pick-me-up after the work week I’d had.

What always interests me is how there can be artists or specific songs that I’ll hate, absolutely hate, for years and years and decades, and then something just…clicks, and it makes sense, and then it’s, “Oh, I get it now…this is great stuff!”

This may be wierd for many of you, but this piece of music, composed in 1570 by Thomas Tallis, is simply ethereal. It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
Tallis was an enormously talented musician who produced music for Henry VIII and 3 other monarchs.
"Spem in Alium" (Hope in any other) is a 40-voice motet, for 8 choirs (and that would be 5 individuals per choir). A capella - no instruments, just voices.
One of my regrets as a former bass-baritone is that I never got to sing it. The motet is very, very rarely performed, given the difficulty of finding 40 singers accustomed to singing renaissance music.

detroitdad - I guess we can be friends then:

IMG_1757.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

Same with me as to variety - people are shocked sometimes to learn I like medieval monk chants…and bluegrass…and disco.

I'm very much the same, though I rarely listen to any music at all these days - which is why I don't usually contribute to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom