What kind of music do you like?

Jam Bands. Got into them several years ago. String Cheese Incident. Greensky Bluegrass. Railroad Earth. Widespread Panic. Tedeschi Trucks Band. Always been a fan of the Allmans except from after Brothers and Sisters to the Seven Turns Albums. They really stunk it up during that time period.

[Mod.Edit: This post and a number of others following have been moved from another thread]

Here's the direct link to the video (Mother's Little Helper by the Rolling Stones)

View: https://youtu.be/QAszapI0unE

Opening lyrics: What a drag it is getting old.

Beautiful sentiment. I look at things the same way: why age yourself even faster by worrying about something you can't control? I do still like that song, however. :)

For me, the classic song about time and aging has to be Pink Floyd's 'Time'.
A song that as a young chap of 18 or so, I enjoyed and understood the lyrics.

It's not until you're at the other end of that 'time telescope' that you fully get and live those lyrics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pink Floyd's 'Time'
A fantastic song (from one of the greatest albums of all time). It's interesting what sort of perspective time provides. The Rolling Stones wrote Mother's Little Helper when Mick and Keith were 23. Roger Waters was 30 when Dark Side of the Moon came out.

Roger Waters was 30
My cousins husband and brother in arms Steve Margo senior VP of international for Warners LA back in the day was a friend of Waters and Gilmour. he was also a qualified Barrister. Floyd management wanted Syd Barrett to sign something. I met Gilmour at Sarm Studios Ladbroke Grove when he was producing a charity record for the Rain Forest. Stevie would not visit Syd in his Mums house in Cambridge without protection because Syd could be unstable. I was asked to do it. I liked him.

Stevie would not visit Syd in his Mums house in Cambridge without protection because Syd could be unstable. I was asked to do it. I liked him.
I have heard he was a bit of a kook. He was brilliant - he wrote everything on their first album - but it was much more wacky than you’d think from a band that had such deep, introspective, haunting tunes later on. I’ve always liked this one:

When I worked in the industry, the first time in the early 70s. From my point of view it was about having fun and making profit. That was very difficult if you had to lug around an orchestra and 5 articulated lorries full of instruments etc and artist who are driven by their ego's not their Label A&R rep. That is why most tours loose money and have to rely on Label support. The Labels want them to happen usually to co inside with when the wish to promote the first single of a new album. Buy on's from other Labels to get exposure for the artists also generate. Merchandising is a massive revenue for the person who owns the rights. Most artists in their early life sell the rights to cheaply. Iron Maiden earned more money by retaining said rights than any other revenue stream generated from 38 albums. Breaking America is the key to the big bucks.
Forget the Beatles, the Dave Clark Five were the most successful band of that period to break America.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmiE0A34tw

I have heard he was a bit of a kook. He was brilliant - he wrote everything on their first album - but it was much more wacky than you’d think from a band that had such deep, introspective, haunting tunes later on. I’ve always liked this one:

I have this album on CD.

Jam Bands. Got into them several years ago. String Cheese Incident. Greensky Bluegrass. Railroad Earth. Widespread Panic. Tedeschi Trucks Band. Always been a fan of the Allmans except from after Brothers and Sisters to the Seven Turns Albums. They really stunk it up during that time period.
I saw Derek Trucks perform with the Allman Brothers at the Suwannee Fest in Live Oak, Florida back in the early 1990s when he was maybe 12 or 13 years old. Blew my mind!

Back
Top Bottom