What kind of music do you like?

I finally got to see them a couple of years ago, the gig was ragged and at times bad tempered, just as it should be for them. Great fun.

What a great fun and gig experience indeed. Sadly, I’ve never had the chance to see them live.
I’ve got to see The Cure in Milano, Sonoria Music Festival in 1995. It was like a sort of Glastonbury music festival, I clearly still remember that day, it was magic. Rain, mud, friends, music everywhere all day, lots of rock bands (Led Zeppelin, Faith no More just to name a few) drinking, dancing and mostly (for me) waiting for them in the evening: The Cure. As soon as they appeared on the stage, the rain stopped. Still shivering.

I love this song, and the cheeky instrument swap makes it all the better:

View: https://youtu.be/XtJaQ7mJAOg
Glenn Tilbrook does a lot of solo acoustic shows and he comes to a small venue in Leicester regularly. We never miss him, a lovely intimate gig where he does his own songs and all the best Squeeze stuff, plus he's a really grounded and funny guy.

Glenn Tilbrook does a lot of solo acoustic shows and he comes to a small venue in Leicester regularly. We never miss him, a lovely intimate gig where he does his own songs and all the best Squeeze stuff, plus he's a really grounded and funny guy.
There used to be a show on VH1 called "Bands Reunited," where they took popular bands from sort of mid-80's to mid-90's that had broken up and got them together for another performance, and filmed it like a reality show, tracing the effort to track the members down, revisit the breakup, all that. It was great fun.

Each episode was one hour. One week, I noticed the band to be reassembled was Squeeze. I love Squeeze. Just love them. Glenn Tilbrook gets nowhere near the credit he deserves as a vocalist and especially as a guitarist, so I was beside myself with joy when I saw the episode listing.

The night it aired, we had a previous engagement, so I asked my wife to set up the DVR to record it, and TBH, all I could think about while we were out was getting home and watching this episode with Squeeze.

Got home, rushed in the door, ran to the TV, switched it on, pulled up the listing...and the very first thing I noticed was that it was only 30 minutes long, half the time.

I started yelling at my wife for messing up the scheduling, at the DVR for messing up the recording, and at the Universe for hating me so much as to mess up the one thing I wanted to see. And of course, there were no rebroadcasts scheduled...

"Oh well, I'll watch the 30 minutes that recorded, that'll be something at least."

Watched it, and it was revealed why the episode was legitimately only 30 minutes. Out of all the bands they portrayed, Squeeze was the one band they failed to reunite. It all fell apart midway through and they were never able to pull it off! 😠

There used to be a show on VH1 called "Bands Reunited," where they took popular bands from sort of mid-80's to mid-90's that had broken up and got them together for another performance, and filmed it like a reality show, tracing the effort to track the members down, revisit the breakup, all that. It was great fun.

Each episode was one hour. One week, I noticed the band to be reassembled was Squeeze. I love Squeeze. Just love them. Glenn Tilbrook gets nowhere near the credit he deserves as a vocalist and especially as a guitarist, so I was beside myself with joy when I saw the episode listing.

The night it aired, we had a previous engagement, so I asked my wife to set up the DVR to record it, and TBH, all I could think about while we were out was getting home and watching this episode with Squeeze.

Got home, rushed in the door, ran to the TV, switched it on, pulled up the listing...and the very first thing I noticed was that it was only 30 minutes long, half the time.

I started yelling at my wife for messing up the scheduling, at the DVR for messing up the recording, and at the Universe for hating me so much as to mess up the one thing I wanted to see. And of course, there were no rebroadcasts scheduled...

"Oh well, I'll watch the 30 minutes that recorded, that'll be something at least."

Watched it, and it was revealed why the episode was legitimately only 30 minutes. Out of all the bands they portrayed, Squeeze was the one band they failed to reunite. It all fell apart midway through and they were never able to pull it off! 😠
I assume they were trying to get Joolz Holland to get on stage with Difford and Tilbrook, something he says will never happen. Joolz has played live with both individually, accompanied them on his TV show and is friends with both, but won't do a Squeeze line up. As it is, they don't need him back, and he has a pretty good job, so why bother.

Roger Daltry's 77th birthday today so I'm listening to a few songs from my "Who" collection.

Back
Top Bottom