What kind of music do you like?

Finns chose this (Linkin Park copy) band to represent us in the Eurovision Song Contest in Rotterdam later this spring. (The national selection contest was this evening). I like the piece.

In the day, we sweat it out on the streets of a runaway American dream.
At night, we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines.
Sprung from cages out on highway 9, chrome wheeled, fuel injected and stepp'n out over the line.

full.jpg

Oh baby, this town rips the bones from your back; it's a death trap; it's a suicide rap.
We gotta get out while we're still young 'cause baby, tramps like us, baby we were born to run.
Yes, girl, we were.

Wendy let me in; I wanna be your friend; I wanna guard your dreams and visions.
Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims and strap your hands across my engines.

full.jpg

Together, we could break this trap; we'll run til we drop; Baby, we'll never go back.
Oh, will you walk with me out on the wire? - 'cause baby, I'm just a scared and lonely rider.
But I gotta know how it feels; I gotta know if love is wild, babe.
I gotta know if love is real; Oh can you show me?

Beyond the palace, hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard.
Girls comb their hair in rear view mirrors and the boys try to look so hard.
The amusement park rises bold and stark; kids are huddled on the beach in a mist.
I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets tonight in an ever-lasting kiss.

One, two, three, four ...

The highway 's lined with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Everybody 's out on the run tonight, but there's no place left to hide.
Together Wendy, we can live with the sadness; I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

Oh some day girl, I don't know when; we're gonna get to that place where we really want to go
and walk in the sun.
But til then, baby, tramps like us, baby we were born to run.
Oh honey, tramps like us, baby we were born to run.
Come on with me; Baby we were born to run.

I nearly always prefer the songwriter's version of a song, over the more popular, widely-known version:

View: https://youtu.be/9_87xfuaHDE

Some tunes have memorable and notable lyrics. Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" is one such tune.

I also like Don Mclean's "American Pie" lyrics. Fantastic and controversial with regard to meaning.

Some tunes have memorable and notable lyrics. Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" is one such tune.

I also like Don Mclean's "American Pie" lyrics. Fantastic and controversial with regard to meaning.
I'm a lyrics freak. For me, an otherwise unspectacular song can be saved by a single quality or clever line.

Back
Top Bottom