What kind of music do you like?

My mom listened to Jerry Vale and Englebert Humperdinck. She most certainly hated all music I listened to.
I was lucky in that my mom had excellent taste in music, and unusual for one of her background.

Records of my mom’s that I remember:
Elvis
Jerry Lee Lewis
(Those two weren’t unusual)
Righteous Brothers
Joe Tex
Mahalia Jackson
Muddy Waters
Jimmy Webb
Dusty Springfield
Bobbie Gentry
Tom Jones

My mom was especially fond of Eric Clapton. She loved Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Dean Martin, the Beach Boys, Waylon Jennings, BB King, the Temptations, Etta James, Burt Bacharach, and so much more. Pretty diverse for someone who was born in 1927.

She skipped school when she was 17 to go see Frank Sinatra in concert, lol. I bet that was something else!

My mom was especially fond of Eric Clapton. She loved Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Dean Martin, the Beach Boys, Waylon Jennings, BB King, the Temptations, Etta James, Burt Bacharach, and so much more. Pretty diverse for someone who was born in 1927.

She skipped school when she was 17 to go see Frank Sinatra in concert, lol. I bet that was something else!
When I was in my "Country" phase, I listened to Waylon Jennings, Willy Nelson, David Allan Coe, etc. I love old Country, but hate modern Country. Alabama was one of my favorite Country-Rock groups in the late '70's/early '80's. Marshall Tucker as well. I have a distant cousin you might have heard of, Emmylou Harris.

When I was in my "Country" phase, I listened to Waylon Jennings, Willy Nelson, David Allan Coe, etc. I love old Country, but hate modern Country. Alabama was one of my favorite Country-Rock groups in the late '70's/early '80's. Marshall Tucker as well. I have a distant cousin you might have heard of, Emmylou Harris.
I love David Allen Coe, he's one of my favorites of the old-timers and that's because he is funny as hell (and yeah the music is pretty good too). And Johnny Cash was my all-time favorite though. Sure I have heard of Emmylou Harris. She did something with Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits in the early 2000s I think? I still like Marshall Tucker pretty well. I am not huge on Willy Nelson's voice but he is a very good song writer (he wrote Crazy for Patsy Cline among many others). Didn't much like Alabama or that band that did that song "Elvira"..."Oak" something I think...

But blues and bluegrass I prefer over traditional country any day of the week. And then I love heavy metal, too, go figure :laugh:

I love David Allen Coe, he's one of my favorites of the old-timers and that's because he is funny as hell (and yeah the music is pretty good too). And Johnny Cash was my all-time favorite though. Sure I have heard of Emmylou Harris. She did something with Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits in the early 2000s I think? I still like Marshall Tucker pretty well. I am not huge on Willy Nelson's voice but he is a very good song writer (he wrote Crazy for Patsy Cline among many others). Didn't much like Alabama or that band that did that song "Elvira"..."Oak" something I think...

But blues and bluegrass I prefer over traditional country any day of the week. And then I love heavy metal, too, go figure :laugh:
Oak Ridge Boys, Always getting roped into playing in "Hazzard County" on "Dukes". I love Bluegrass and I'm a huge fan of Cajun music!

Oak Ridge Boys, Always getting roped into playing in "Hazzard County" on "Dukes". I love Bluegrass and I'm a huge fan of Cajun music!
My uncle (married to my mom's younger sister) was Cajun and he used to play Zydeco music with a band back in the 60s and 70s down in SW Louisiana and SE Texas.

My uncle (married to my mom's younger sister) was Cajun and he used to play Zydeco music with a band back in the 60s and 70s down in SW Louisiana and SE Texas.
Not a big fan of Zydeco, though "Buckwheat Zydeco"was ok. I'm more into the waltzes and two step Cajun music.

I like some weird music occasionally (reference Kevin Coyne, Edgar Broughton, Leon Redbone, Miranda Sex Garden for examples).

Recently I have been reading Giles Blunt's "Cardinal" books and then watching the series on the internet.

The opening song of the series is "Familiar" by Agnes Obel, a Danish singer, songwriter, and musician based in Berlin, and I find it captivating. I'm having trouble finding the album from which it came on the internet ("Citizen Of Glass") but I shall persevere.

Last edited:
I like some weird music occasionally (reference Kevin Coyne, Edgar Broughton, Leon Redbone, Madrigal Sex Garden for examples).

Recently I have been reading Giles Blunt's "Cardinal" books and then watching the series on the internet.

The opening song of the series is "Familiar" by Agnes Obel, a Danish singer, songwriter, and musician based in Berlin, and I find it captivating. I'm having trouble finding the album from which it came on the internet ("Citizen Of Glass") but I shall persevere.

I have found it now on Pirate Bay.

In similar vein, the theme song to "Luther" (Idris Elba).

Back
Top Bottom