What kitchen toys did you get from Santa this Christmas?

This year my two main cooking-related gifts were a cast iron tortilla press - which I've already tried out on some soft corn tacos...... its so much easier than using a rolling pin :D My tacos all came out perfectly round and a uniform thickness, next I need to try making flour tortillas. And a Cusinart rechargable salt and pepper mill - I've had my eye on this for a while now: I like the convenience of battery operated mills because you can use them one-handed, but they usually take 6 or 8 AAA batteries, and they don't last very long. This one sits on a charging stand so its always ready to go.

There were a couple of other things on my list - which I may just buy for myself at some point because I think they'd be very useful.

We also received an electric wine set as a joint gift - we'd seen these before Christmas and thought they were nice, but not something we'd usually buy. However its actually pretty good, and very easy to use.
It's funny, we love wine and my husband makes it (very nice dry reds for the most part), so every Christmas we get these new-fangled easy-to-use wine openers that he refuses to use. He uses an old school wine key like the ones they use in restaurants (similar to image below) and refuses to budge.

1641314697329.png

So I have several packages with wine openers taking up space in my pantry. Might be time to regift them, LOL.

I am all about the toys that make life easier, but he is the one that always opens the bottle, so...

Oh that must have been a mistake. Such a nice person deserves a gift. Anything you wish for your garden or kitchen,should manifest for next Christmas.
🌾🎉🌠
Welllllll, it's kind of a Buddhist country, so they only have a small percentage of Christians (I think, correct me if I am wrong Yorky). My sister was with the US Department of State and was posted in Bangkok for several years, she says that they do put on a good show there for sure (and the weather is great this time of year).

I am sure Yorky gets plenty of nice gifts and gestures throughout the year.

Honestly, I am not much of a Christmas person and never have been. I put up the tree and went through the motions when the kids were young, and I will buy gifts for people close to me because I know they are getting me something and it feels awkward to not do it. I have asked in the past to not be given anything but no one listens, LOL. I usually get at least one nice present from hubby and I do buy myself stuff--but I don't buy myself stuff at the holidays because I am spoiling myself, it's just that often I can nab really good deals on things I have wanted all year and if I have the extra money I buy them!

It's funny, we love wine and my husband makes it (very nice dry reds for the most part), so every Christmas we get these new-fangled easy-to-use wine openers that he refuses to use. He uses an old school wine key like the ones they use in restaurants (similar to image below) and refuses to budge.

View attachment 78769

So I have several packages with wine openers taking up space in my pantry. Might be time to regift them, LOL.

I am all about the toys that make life easier, but he is the one that always opens the bottle, so...
We have a number waiter's friend type corkscrews around too - I like them a lot: they're simple, don't take up much storage and most of the time they're pretty easy to use. In fact for years I kept one in my makeup bag......which meant I never forgot to pack it when travelling LOL.

But I also like gadgets :okay:

We have a number waiter's friend type corkscrews around too - I like them a lot: they're simple, don't take up much storage and most of the time they're pretty easy to use. In fact for years I kept one in my makeup bag......which meant I never forgot to pack it when travelling LOL.

But I also like gadgets :okay:
Oh my yes, it's so important to take one (but not in carryon luggage, LOL) on holiday, I can't tell you how many times we have arrived at a hotel/resort/air bnb to find that there isn't one in the suite or kitchen. That should be a staple for sure! Or even when we visit a few relatives who don't drink, of course they never have one on hand and we have had to go out and buy an overpriced flimsy wine opener from the grocery store (which usually breaks after a week, LOL).

Yeah, we just call them wine keys over here. I remember my first job waiting tables at an Italian restaurant; the owner tested potential servers by putting two wine openers next to each other on the table and asking which one they would use:
1641315641945.png
1641315663430.png

If someone chose the one on the left, he would scowl and mutter something in Italian, then wave them away...

This year my two main cooking-related gifts were a cast iron tortilla press - which I've already tried out on some soft corn tacos...... its so much easier than using a rolling pin :D My tacos all came out perfectly round and a uniform thickness, next I need to try making flour tortillas. And a Cusinart rechargable salt and pepper mill - I've had my eye on this for a while now: I like the convenience of battery operated mills because you can use them one-handed, but they usually take 6 or 8 AAA batteries, and they don't last very long. This one sits on a charging stand so its always ready to go.

There were a couple of other things on my list - which I may just buy for myself at some point because I think they'd be very useful.

We also received an electric wine set as a joint gift - we'd seen these before Christmas and thought they were nice, but not something we'd usually buy. However its actually pretty good, and very easy to use.

I've heard of wine sets, but not an electric one. What does it do?

We have one similar to that and I use it all the time. I have a lot of tendon issues in my arms and hands, and it's been a lifesaver. Before that, I just used a standard waiter's key.
Makes sense to me. I haven't opened a bottle of wine in probably 4 years or more, though I drink it fairly often.

We have one similar to that and I use it all the time. I have a lot of tendon issues in my arms and hands, and it's been a lifesaver. Before that, I just used a standard waiter's key.

I have a Houdini wine bottle opener. I rarely use it, but it is quick and easy.

CD

I have a Houdini wine bottle opener. I rarely use it, but it is quick and easy.

CD
We've got about 6 different kinds taking up space, LOL. Hubby only likes the one he uses all the time, which was a gift from his stepdad.

Back
Top Bottom