What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah! Grandma used the long distance as an excuse to not do something she did not want to.😁 Like, receive a boring neighbour and spend 2 hours nodding...

Remember these? I heard that they are removing all the analog clocks because today's kids don't know how to read them.

Time-Clock-Face-Pointer-Antique-Clock-Time-Of-Old-3697732.jpg

Many schools here have even removed cursive writing from the curriculum. I hired a college student to help me around the house and she couldn't read my notes. They learn how to write their own name in cursive for a signature but that's it.

Old School for some of us old enough to remember these. I think my grandma's phone cord was 1,000 feet long. She carried all through the house. ;-)

View attachment 61658
View attachment 61659
View attachment 61660
When I was a kid, we were on a party line because it was cheaper, meaning we shared the line with a couple of other houses in the area. Sometimes, you'd pick up to call someone, and the neighbors were already using the line, so you could listen in if you felt nosy. :laugh:

When I was a kid, we were on a party line because it was cheaper, meaning we shared the line with a couple of other houses in the area. Sometimes, you'd pick up to call someone, and the neighbors were already using the line, so you could listen in if you felt nosy. :laugh:
Going back to our parents and grandparents...I always heard the operator (who literally had to move the wires to call a number was the biggest town gossip as they could hear every conversation. I would have been fired because I don't gossip (too mean and childish). I'm also too tired to waste that kinda energy. ;-)

Going back to our parents and grandparents...I always heard the operator (who literally had to move the wires to call a number was the biggest town gossip as they could hear every conversation. I would have been fired because I don't gossip (too mean and childish). I'm also too tired to waste that kinda energy. ;-)
I'd walk into the kitchen (where the phone was) and find my mom listening on the phone. I'd start to say something, and she'd give me "the look" and shush me. That meant she was listening in on the neighbors, not participating in a call. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom