What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the same vein, while we were driving around Pennsylvania, we kept coming across this sign:

That's to denote that the highway department has put down fresh tar (oil) and covered it with gravel (chips). In my part of the country, we wouldn't phrase it that way.

We were driving and driving the backroads, and this sign kept popping up, and finally, MrsT said, "Where's all this fresh oil and chips they're talking about? I'm getting hungry!" :laugh:

In the same vein, while we were driving around Pennsylvania, we kept coming across this sign:

View attachment 73983

That's to denote that the highway department has put down fresh tar (oil) and covered it with gravel (chips). In my part of the country, we wouldn't phrase it that way.

We were driving and driving the backroads, and this sign kept popping up, and finally, MrsT said, "Where's all this fresh oil and chips they're talking about? I'm getting hungry!" :laugh:

in the UK, I've grown up with the standard 'roadworks' sign, so I'm slightly perplexed by the Australian equivalent... it is never ever plural.

on a similar theme..

But this one is probably the best. it is everywhere..

in the UK, I've grown up with the standard 'roadworks' sign, so I'm slightly perplexed by the Australian equivalent... it is never ever plural.

View attachment 74017

View attachment 74019

on a similar theme..
View attachment 74018

But this one is probably the best. it is everywhere..
View attachment 74020

The UK use of singular and plural is different than in other English speaking countries. For example, in the US, Ford is introducing a new car, while in the UK, Ford are introducing a new car. For me, Ford is one company, singular.

In the US, there is Road Work ahead, not Roadworks.

CD

And what do Americans (North) consider "math" is the shortened version of?

And what do Americans (North) consider "math" is the shortened version of?

We use the singular "math" instead of the plural "maths." It is not a shortened version, just the singular. "Math" is a subject, singular -- just as we study history in school, not histories.

CD

We use the singular "math" instead of the plural "maths." It is not a shortened version, just the singular. "Math" is a subject, singular -- just as we study history in school, not histories.

CD

In Britain, "maths" is the shortened version of mathematics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom