What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TastyReuben I think you may be late to the party, we've had Christmas stuff out in our stores for a month now... :o_o:
You should try living with Christmas in July, as well as Christmas actual (in summer). The decorations are literally only just down from that!

You should try living with Christmas in July, as well as Christmas actual (in summer). The decorations are literally only just down from that!
We actually do live with Christmas in July in the US, unfortunately. Why anyone ever thought that was a good idea is beyond me.

We actually do live with Christmas in July in the US, unfortunately. Why anyone ever thought that was a good idea is beyond me.
:eek:

It's a big thing here in Australia. Almost as soon as we arrived (in May) we were being taken to a Christmas in July meal out. I'd not even heard of it until I came here.

I do understand the desire to be able to eat hot food at Christmas though. Somehow it isn't the same when it's +35°C (highest to date we've had was 40°C on Christmas day) outside and you're hiding indoors from the sun. The whitest thing around is usually the icing sugar. Lol. We actually had a favourite meal we always used to prepare (a Thai vegan dish) but have found it to be too spicy hot to eat when it's 35°C outside and you can forget Christmas cake or Christmas pudding. Only done that the once and won't make that mistake again. There's a very good reason for pavlova on Christmas day and most of it involves the oven being on the lowest possible setting!

The whitest thing around is usually the icing sugar. Lol.
Yeah, the only white I like seeing at Christmas is white sand dunes. I did grow up in Florida in a beach town, after all. I used to love going for a walk on the beach after Christmas dinner!

:eek:

It's a big thing here in Australia. Almost as soon as we arrived (in May) we were being taken to a Christmas in July meal out. I'd not even heard of it until I came here.

I do understand the desire to be able to eat hot food at Christmas though. Somehow it isn't the same when it's +35°C (highest to date we've had was 40°C on Christmas day) outside and you're hiding indoors from the sun. The whitest thing around is usually the icing sugar. Lol. We actually had a favourite meal we always used to prepare (a Thai vegan dish) but have found it to be too spicy hot to eat when it's 35°C outside and you can forget Christmas cake or Christmas pudding. Only done that the once and won't make that mistake again. There's a very good reason for pavlova on Christmas day and most of it involves the oven being on the lowest possible setting!

Since "Christ" was not likely born in December, but his birth is celebrated in December to one-up Saturnalia, a pagan festival at Winter Solstice, it really doesn't matter when you celebrate it. Some historians say he was born in June, which is close to July.

It is, however, convenient to have Christmas and Festivus occur at the same time.

CD

Since "Christ" was not likely born in December, but his birth is celebrated in December to one-up Saturnalia, a pagan festival at Winter Solstice, it really doesn't matter when you celebrate it. Some historians say he was born in June, which is close to July.

It is, however, convenient to have Christmas and Festivus occur at the same time.

CD
Yeah, I am not a Christian so I don't actually celebrate Christmas. I buy gifts for family members and friends that time of year in more of a habitual, obligatory manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom