What method to use to cook pizza.

I have neither a pizza stone nor a pizza pan (although I am currently researching the availability of the latter).

I have located a "pizza screen" which I'd never heard of before. I've ordered one but it will take 2 - 3 weeks to arrive as it's shipped from overseas.

pizza mesh.jpg

So its a pan with a mesh base? I should think that would work in a similar way to a pizza pan with holes in the base.

As far as I am aware, yes. The image had me buggered at first as I thought it was in two pieces but a friend who knows about this sort of stuff told me it was actually two "pizza screens". A single one is costing me just over a fiver so it's not a significant outlay.

As far as I am aware, yes. The image had me buggered at first as I thought it was in two pieces but a friend who knows about this sort of stuff told me it was actually two "pizza screens". A single one is costing me just over a fiver so it's not a significant outlay.

I have it now (good service) and it appears a little flimsy but what should I expect for five quid?

It'll be at least Thursday before I give it the trial run.

pizza mesh s.jpg

We do it on the grill, either directly on the grill grate or on the "tombstone" pizza kettle set up for the Weber, or in the Big Green Egg either on the grate or on the stone, just depends on mood and what kind of pizzas we are doing. All of them get wood and charcoal both used so they have that wonderful wood-fired oven taste.

For the screens I see some of you using, we kind of keep the TV on for "background noise" and usually on cooking shows. I saw where someplace used the screens out of stovetop exhaust fans for their pizza screens. I'm not sure if they used them for actual cooking or just for serving, but they would make a good serving rack for pizza in that they would keep the bottom crisp, and they are pretty cheap.

Several people on the Greek side of my family used to/still run pizzerias. I don't know what type of ovens they all used; I guess that would depend on whereabouts they were - some of their locations in Greece were pretty rural, others in towns and cities, and some even in Germany. One at least (in Germany) had an electric pizza-specific oven which they used for their own cooking as well. That one seemed rather small to me - more the size of a second oven or grill.

Back
Top Bottom