What nuts have you used as a substitute for pine nuts in basil pesto?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:07 PM
So I was at the market 2 days ago and noticed that pine nuts were $32 per pound, which is $8 for a 4 ounce package. Ridiculous. At dinner that night, I was discussing it with the in-laws and they said they saw them at 2 other markets for $40 a pound. I read online that cashews make a decent substitition in a basil pesto. I think I remember several years ago someone saying they made it with pistachios. I happen to have cashews, pistachios, and macadamia nutmeats on hand.

What nuts have you personally used in pesto and did you notice a huge difference?

Last edited:
I´ve used almonds. "Pesto alle mandorle" . Works a treat, because pine nuts cost a fortune in Venezuela.
If i can find my recipe, I´ll send it to you. I had a couple of basil plants in the kitchen garden which used to produce LOADS of basil, and every time the plants got too big, I´d cut them back, make 3-4 pots of basil...
and sell them at the highest price possible. :D :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've used pistachio nuts, walnuts, Brazil nuts and once cashews. All work just fine. I speed using pine nuts once we moved to Australia where they are prohibitively expensive. I've also use macadamia nuts (cheap in Australia).

All seem to work. I've also substituted basil for many things from sorrell to rocket which seen to grow far more readily in my veg plot than basil and sorrell & rocket are hardy.

I used to make a wild garlic pesto as well but can't source wild garlic in Australia .

Edit: Recipe - Vegan Sorrel & Pistachio Pesto
Recipe - Vegan Lemon & Pistachio Pesto
Recipe - Vegan Wild Rocket & Pistachio Pesto

Yeah, pine nuts are $30-$40 a pound, cashews are $9 a pound (macadamia and pistachios are about the same price as cashews). I have cashews, pistachios, and macadamia nuts in my cupboard. Good to know other nuts work well!

We are limited on space in our garden. My basil is growing in pots.

We are limited on space in our garden. My basil is growing in pots.
Life just gets too dry here for pots. Even the ground needs watering during the summer. Pots need standing in water almost permanently in summer, so I don't bother. Even in winter (and an unusually wet one) I'm having to water my pots (2 pots of bulbs, 1 of oregano and a few just given to me to plant on soon into the ground). I really sound plant the oregano out. It would be so much happier...

But yeah, most nuts seen to work, you just adjust the oil ratio by sight... I always top off the jar with a decent layer of oil before freezing my pesto anyhow, but add more or less oil as needed.

So I was at the market 2 days ago and noticed that pine nuts were $32 per pound, which is $8 for a 4 ounce package. Ridiculous. At dinner that night, I was discussing it with the in-laws and they said they saw them at 2 other markets for $40 a pound. I read online that cashews make a decent substitition in a basil pesto. I think I remember several years ago someone saying they made it with pistachios. I happen to have cashews, pistachios, and macadamia nutmeats on hand.

What nuts have you personally used in pesto and did you notice a huge difference?

I mentioned pistachios in pesto, and it is quite good.

Recipe - Pistachio Pesto

CD

I use walnuts also. I finished cracking these yesterday. Last minute drying out before storing.
Lighter for size.

Russ

Life just gets too dry here for pots. Even the ground needs watering during the summer. Pots need standing in water almost permanently in summer, so I don't bother. Even in winter (and an unusually wet one) I'm having to water my pots (2 pots of bulbs, 1 of oregano and a few just given to me to plant on soon into the ground). I really sound plant the oregano out. It would be so much happier...

But yeah, most nuts seen to work, you just adjust the oil ratio by sight... I always top off the jar with a decent layer of oil before freezing my pesto anyhow, but add more or less oil as needed.
Something eats my basil whenever "I" (hubby) have put it in the ground. Hubby waters twice daily if we don't get a lot of rain. We have been a bit drier than normal this summer.

Any nuts really, also seeds like sunflower or pumpkin work.
Hmmm. I do love salted pepitas to snack on. Sunflower seeds are okay, I used to put them in homemade bagels and breads. But do not have either of those on hand so tonight I will be using up the last of my container of cashews!

Okay so I never replenished my cashews and I am still not inclined to purchase pine nuts at $34 a pound, so I used some shelled pistachios in the pesto that I just made. The flavor is pretty nice, but the texture and color are not as appealing as with the cashews. The cashews were much creamier in texture and gave it a light green color. The pistachios are a little chunky--they just didn't blend nearly as well--plus the dark green color of the nuts changed the color of the pesto to almost an olive color. It will do, but not optimal. I will be going to buy some cashews sometime next week.

Back
Top Bottom