What pepper do you use?

Discussion in 'Herbs, Spices, Dressings, Sauces and Dips' started by rascal, Mar 25, 2019.

1. rascal

rascal Über Member

We still have restaurants here that do the big Grinder thing, they get sick of me telling them when I've had enough ground onto my food.

Russ

2. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

I use black pepper corns, ground or cracked and long pepper, ground. We have white pepper in the cupboard but only my wife uses it.

One of my favourite uses is pepper steak.

I coat the steak both sides in prepared mustard and then "roll" it around in a dish of cracked black pepper.

3 s.jpg

I then pan fry it in olive oil for a minute or two.

cooked 2 s.jpg

I then add remaining pepper to the pan together with béchamel sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mushrooms.

with mushroom sauce s.jpg

morning glory, Karen W and rascal like this.
  3. Karen W

Karen W Senior Member

Reminds me of steak au poivre.:hungry:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  4. MypinchofItaly

MypinchofItaly Über Member

Ground black pepper, is certainly the type of pepper that I use most every day, but sometimes I use this pepper with apple wood, slightly smoked and very aromatic. Pepe al legno di melo.jpg

5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Sounds lovely

6. Mountain Cat

Mountain Cat Active Member

I buy the Trader Joe black peppercorns and their Rainbow peppercorns (black, white, green and pink - the latter really not a pepper at all). They come with their own grinders. Other brands that I've tried that have their own grinders haven't ground particularly efficiently.

On rare occasions, I use white pepper, which comes pre-ground. It's good in light colored dishes where you don't want to see flecks of black pepper. It also has a slightly different flavor profile, useful in some dishes.

Oh, I also have Szechwan pepper.

7. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

I've never been impressed with the table type pepper grinders (not the ones I've had anyway). I always use the spice grinder on the liquidiser.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Mountain Cat likes this.
  8. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I use white pepper quite a lot both whole and ready ground. It provides a different taste profile, I think - more lemony.

Mountain Cat likes this.