What pepper do you use?

I remember the day when waiters ran to your table with a 3 foot pepper grinder, when you ordered a salad, and asked "would you like some freshly ground pepper on that?" I read restaurants used to have little pepper mills on the table, and you could grind your own. They went out of fashion because patrons kept stealing them. Lol. A little pepper history.

We still have restaurants here that do the big Grinder thing, they get sick of me telling them when I've had enough ground onto my food.

Russ

I use black pepper corns, ground or cracked and long pepper, ground. We have white pepper in the cupboard but only my wife uses it.

One of my favourite uses is pepper steak.

I coat the steak both sides in prepared mustard and then "roll" it around in a dish of cracked black pepper.

3 s.jpg

I then pan fry it in olive oil for a minute or two.

cooked 2 s.jpg

I then add remaining pepper to the pan together with béchamel sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mushrooms.

with mushroom sauce s.jpg

I use black pepper corns, ground or cracked and long pepper, ground. We have white pepper in the cupboard but only my wife uses it.

One of my favourite uses is pepper steak.

I coat the steak both sides in prepared mustard and then "roll" it around in a dish of cracked black pepper.

View attachment 23344

I then pan fry it in olive oil for a minute or two.

View attachment 23345

I then add remaining pepper to the pan together with béchamel sauce, Worcestershire sauce and mushrooms.

View attachment 23346

Reminds me of steak au poivre.:hungry:

Last edited:
I buy the Trader Joe black peppercorns and their Rainbow peppercorns (black, white, green and pink - the latter really not a pepper at all). They come with their own grinders. Other brands that I've tried that have their own grinders haven't ground particularly efficiently.

On rare occasions, I use white pepper, which comes pre-ground. It's good in light colored dishes where you don't want to see flecks of black pepper. It also has a slightly different flavor profile, useful in some dishes.

Oh, I also have Szechwan pepper.

I buy the Trader Joe black peppercorns and their Rainbow peppercorns (black, white, green and pink - the latter really not a pepper at all). They come with their own grinders. Other brands that I've tried that have their own grinders haven't ground particularly efficiently.

I've never been impressed with the table type pepper grinders (not the ones I've had anyway). I always use the spice grinder on the liquidiser.

Last edited:
On rare occasions, I use white pepper, which comes pre-ground. It's good in light colored dishes where you don't want to see flecks of black pepper. It also has a slightly different flavor profile, useful in some dishes.

I use white pepper quite a lot both whole and ready ground. It provides a different taste profile, I think - more lemony.

Back
Top Bottom