What pepper do you use?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:52 PM
i use black and white pepper in shakers but I also have it in grinders for peppercorns. One of my grinders is powered by battery. The other is hand ground. I also use green peppercorns in a sauce I make. I think pepper has revolutionised our food buds. We use so much pepper here it's not funny. You guys use a lot??

Russ

I've got the standard red, pink, green, white and black pepper corns. The black pepper corns are the only ones in a mill. I replaced our old hand operated mills (S&P) at Christmas with new hand operated ones. The old one had screws in the bottom that well the wood had rotted around screw and the grinding mech fell out. The new one is also wood. The old ones were over 2 decades old, so we'd no issues replacing them with more wooden ones . Ironically they were made in England, not Australia.
The other pepper I have is a mountain pepperberry. It's a native Australian berry with a peppery taste ,so you get a fruity taste initially followed by that pepper taste. It's a dried fruit just like pepper corns.

https://austsuperfoods.com.au/superfoods/mountain-pepper/

All kinds including the lesser known long pepper. I'm a great fan of white pepper which has had bad press in the past. As you like curry @rascal , have you ever tried putting loads of black peppercorns (dry fry and grind them) in a curry? They provide a fantastic level of heat which is different from and complements the chilli.

Last edited:
All kinds including the lesser known long pepper. I'm a great fan of white pepper which has had bad press in the past. As you like curry @rascal , have you ever tried putting loads of black peppercorns (dry fry and grind them) in a curry? They provide a fantastic level of heat which is different from and complements the chilli.

Yip, corns are added to my dry roasted spices.

Russ

I've got the standard red, pink, green, white and black pepper corns. The black pepper corns are the only ones in a mill. I replaced our old hand operated mills (S&P) at Christmas with new hand operated ones. The old one had screws in the bottom that well the wood had rotted around screw and the grinding mech fell out. The new one is also wood. The old ones were over 2 decades old, so we'd no issues replacing them with more wooden ones . Ironically they were made in England, not Australia.
The other pepper I have is a mountain pepperberry. It's a native Australian berry with a peppery taste ,so you get a fruity taste initially followed by that pepper taste. It's a dried fruit just like pepper corns.

https://austsuperfoods.com.au/superfoods/mountain-pepper/

Havnt come across this one. Maybe next trip to ozzy I might find some.

Russ

All sorts. Szechuan pepper, green, red, white etc.
For general cooking use I use black pepper but sometimes use white in a pale coloured meal.
I do sometimes use pre ground pepper but generally grind my own.

There are two major ways that I use pepper: 1) as a seasoning, and 2) as part of a "transformative" process.

The first is straight-forward enough: grind some pepper to accentuate a dish, rub ground pepper on the meat I'm going to cook, that sort of thing. But, the second category is how I might use it more often, since I do so much pickling. Szechuan peppercorns and whole peppercorns of various colors give an extra punch to whatever I'm pickling. Sometimes, I do grind them with other spices, to make my own Chinese Five Spice powder.

This question has me realizing that I don't use pepper as a seasoning as often as I probably should. :unsure:

I remember the day when waiters ran to your table with a 3 foot pepper grinder, when you ordered a salad, and asked "would you like some freshly ground pepper on that?" I read restaurants used to have little pepper mills on the table, and you could grind your own. They went out of fashion because patrons kept stealing them. Lol. A little pepper history.

Back
Top Bottom