What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive grocery run just now.

The only edible items not specifically purchased for one challenge or another here were: watermelon, seltzer water, Fontina cheese, and (ahem) rum.

Purchased:
Limes.
Julienned carrots, mixed bag of veggie slaw, watercress, asparagus, baby bok choy, red bell pepper, fresh baby spinach, mung bean sprouts, leeks.
Chives, cilantro (coriander leaf).
Prosciutto, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, plain Greek yogurt, butter.
Silken tofu, water chestnuts, Thai red curry paste, boxed low sodium veggie broth. .

Had a shopping list, but still forgot to get the frozen peas. I have some here for one of my recipes but not enough for the other. (The items were listed by recipe rather than section of store). Well, I'm not about to make all these at the same time!

I may switch out the cheddar in one recipe for Fontina - have yet to decide.

Corn on the cob, three methods I use:

1) Keep the husk on, and wet it down. Grill until ready. (I only do this if I am filling up my charcoal grill with lots of other foods, too.)
2) Nuke for about 3-4 minutes in the microwave (wet down the husk if dry. Or, remove).
3) Simmer in a pot of lightly salted water -- NO SUGAR -- for about 5 minutes, de-husked. Butter, however, sounds like a fine idea I haven't tried. Maybe tonight for dinner???

Serve with butter and salt for people to use at whim. Maybe provide Old Bay or Berbere powder for some to choose from.

On the way home, I've got to pick up sub rolls, cheese, and a bottle of Marsala.

I am a bit at a loss @rascal. I was thinking you may have misspelled "dhal". I thought it should be "dahl". So I googled it. To my surprise, everyone spells it "dal". I am almost positive there was an "h" in the word somewhere when I first started shopping at Indian grocery stores a few years ago. So what happened to the "h"?

I've seen it all three ways. My bags of lentils (Urad Dal or Masoor Dal) that I bought in an Indian market have no "h" at all.

I think it is a matter of how the word gets transliterated to the western alphabet, and by whom.

Massive grocery run just now.

The only edible items not specifically purchased for one challenge or another here were: watermelon, seltzer water, Fontina cheese, and (ahem) rum.

Purchased:
Limes.
Julienned carrots, mixed bag of veggie slaw, watercress, asparagus, baby bok choy, red bell pepper, fresh baby spinach, mung bean sprouts, leeks.
Chives, cilantro (coriander leaf).
Prosciutto, cheddar cheese, heavy cream, plain Greek yogurt, butter.
Silken tofu, water chestnuts, Thai red curry paste, boxed low sodium veggie broth. .

Had a shopping list, but still forgot to get the frozen peas. I have some here for one of my recipes but not enough for the other. (The items were listed by recipe rather than section of store). Well, I'm not about to make all these at the same time!

I may switch out the cheddar in one recipe for Fontina - have yet to decide.

An interesting list - be interested to see what you make!

Blintzes. Cherry filled and blueberry filled. Similar to crepes, but sturdier. Used to order them at Delis in New York. My grandma used to make them, but never got her recipe. I usually top them with sour cream and maybe a sliced banana. Keep them in the freezer for a quick light dinner on a hot day. They are getting harder and harder to find. There used to be apple filled and cheese filled blintzes too. The store was out of stock, or they don't carry them any longer. I grab them, when I can find them, but the price has gone up as well.

Last edited:
D.i.l. Did a big shop for us as were babysitting for 8 days, freezers full of chicken and beef mince. She never got some basics, no bread,no tomato sauce, no gravy sachets, no ice cream. Wife did a wee shop 2 days ago.
Not even pepper corns for the grinder.

Russ

D.i.l. Did a big shop for us as were babysitting for 8 days, freezers full of chicken and beef mince. She never got some basics, no bread,no tomato sauce, no gravy sachets, no ice cream. Wife did a wee shop 2 days ago.
Not even pepper corns for the grinder.

Russ
Russ, what are gravy sachets?

Not buying but going home to get potatoes for mashed spud tonight. D.i.l only had 6 potatoes in pantry. Used 3 on the roast so need a couple more. Who doesn't have potatoes for gods sake.????

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom