What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We grew a lot of turnips growing up, and yes, they’ve always been considered lowly/humble/poor people’s food - we even have a saying here for when someone is getting a little uppity, “Remember, you were raised on turnips just like me!”

Being that close to Kentucky, I reckon you've met a few people who "just fell off a turnip truck." :scratchhead:

CD

Being that close to Kentucky, I reckon you've met a few people who "just fell off a turnip truck." :scratchhead:

CD

Being from Kentucky, that is a bit offensive to me, especially since Texas is apparently a fairly large producer, besides California...

Being from Kentucky, that is a bit offensive to me, especially since Texas is apparently a fairly large producer, besides California...

Oh, we have our fair share of those folks, for sure (they mostly come here from Oklahoma :giggle:). But, TR lives a lot closer to Kentucky. It's an American tradition to make fun of people from neighboring states. Drive around Colorado sometime in a car with Texas plates.:eek::laugh:

CD

It's an American tradition to make fun of people from neighboring states. Drive around Colorado sometime in a car with Texas plates.:eek::laugh:

CD

Really, i never heard of that ... and i think I've been an american longer than you.

I didn't buy any major produce today. I did buy some rosemary and thyme, since the plants I had in my garden died from the drought.

I bought a couple of really nice looking tomatoes earlier in the week. I used half of one, and tossed the rest. They tasted like nothing. Seriously, no flavor at all.

CD

We love gherkins/dill pickles/cornichons, whatever you call them, so ventured into the local "European Market" (which is mostly Eastern European). There must have been 30 - 40 varieties! Latvian, Lithuanian, Bulgarian,Polish, Rumanian, Turkish and all the way to Cyprus. What I hadn´t seen, however, since I was in Caracas, were Lebanese "wild cucumbers". Bought some: if you´ve never tried them, go and get some, because they´re divine.

We love gherkins/dill pickles/cornichons, whatever you call them, so ventured into the local "European Market" (which is mostly Eastern European). There must have been 30 - 40 varieties! Latvian, Lithuanian, Bulgarian,Polish, Rumanian, Turkish and all the way to Cyprus. What I hadn´t seen, however, since I was in Caracas, were Lebanese "wild cucumbers". Bought some: if you´ve never tried them, go and get some, because they´re divine.
View attachment 90767

I love them too and not just for eating as an accompaniment - they are also good integrated into dishes.

I love them too and not just for eating as an accompaniment - they are also good integrated into dishes.
Same here. We have several jars of dill pickles and sweet pickles, some from here, some from other countries.

Great for snacking, for fondue and raclette, good for roulade, perfect on lunchmeat sandwiches and burgers, meat and cheese trays. We love ‘em!

I was mainly thinking of beef roulade, where you take a thin piece of beef, smear it with a filling (in my experience, usually pickle-based), then roll it up and cook it.

Here’s a pic(kle :laugh: ), from Wikipedia:
View attachment 90769
You can see the pickles in there.
Haven't had this in forever!
YUM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom