What should I make with these ingredients?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:09 PM
Ok, folks, I’ve got about 20 ounces of cubed butternut squash, about 14 ounces of cubed parsnip, about 10 ounces of pearl onions, and one of those 5 ounce tubs of baby spinach.

What’re some ideas for using those in a dish? My first thought is some kind of soup, but I’m also leaning toward a gratin of some sort.

Any ideas? Feel free to add whatever in with those to make something interesting.

Ok, folks, I’ve got about 20 ounces of cubed butternut squash, about 14 ounces of cubed parsnip, about 10 ounces of pearl onions, and one of those 5 ounce tubs of baby spinach.
I'd roast the squash and the parsnips with some olive oil and whole garlic cloves, and add some strips of bacon .
Then I'd make a sweet/sour sauce with the pearl onions - whole, and some beer, some tomato paste and some vinegar and sugar and mustard.
Then I'd grill some of those wonderful German sausages you get over there - bratwurst, of course.
Make the squash/parsnip into a puree, top with bratwurst, splash with sweet/sour sauce and serve the spinach, just steamed., on the side.

Well, I ended up taking the easy road and making soup:

IMG_8441.jpeg

Neither of us particularly like squash, especially in a soup, but this worked out fairly well. MrsT even had seconds. I think the tartness from that bit of yogurt helped.

Back
Top Bottom