What specialty burger/menu item is on the menu at your local McD's (and other global chains)?

Ok, I'm going on record as saying I like McD's...and BK...and Arby's...and fast food in general.

I like the taste, plain and simple. Something doesn't have to be high-end to be tasty, at least not to me, and the thing about any place is the individual taste profile they present. Nothing else anywhere tastes like a quarter-pounder with cheese.

Can you make a quarter-pound burger at home and slap some cheese on it, with a little ketchup and some minced onion and a pickle slice or two (that's from memory, I haven't actually had QPC in ages)? Sure. Can you get higher quality ingredients for it, hand-fed beef...artisan pickles, farmer's market onions...sure.

Will it taste like McD's? Of course not. Now, you can argue that it tastes "better," but I'd say no, it just tastes different, and if I said, "Boy, I've got the hankering for a McD's QPC," and you said, "I can make you a better one right here," I'd eat that burger, and sincerely thank you for your effort and the meal, but I'd also be thinking, "Must hit McD's in the next day or so, because I'm still wanting that QPC!"

It's like canned tomato soup or supermarket bread or anything like that. Sometimes, even if it's low cost/low quality, it's that specific taste you're after, and it's not about a pursuit for "the best."

My standard McD's order is a cheeseburger, medium fries (no ketchup), and medium unsweetened iced tea, unless I already have a bottle of water handy. A couple of times a year, I'll trade up to a Big Mac.

BK is a little more involved. I rotate between a Whopper Jr. meal (includes fries and drink, medium-sized), no cheese, or a cheeseburger with mayonnaise, pickle, and onion and medium fries.

Arby's is always a medium classic roast beef sandwich, two potato cakes, and about twice a year, I'll upgrade to a beef-n-cheddar.

McD's burgers are a "no time for anything gotta' eat in the car" burgers, to me. The Quarter Pounder with Cheese is my usual go-to burger.

When I go on a road trip, I have a tradition of starting off with a Sausage, egg and cheese McMuffin and Coffee. They do have good coffee, especially for the price.

The only fast food I ever "crave" is the occasional Whataburger, with mayo, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Fries with their amazing ketchup, and iced tea (or maybe a Dr. Pepper).

CD

Fast food options here are different. If I'm at a mall, for example, I can get udon or soba in (much) less time than Mickey D's. But the other week, I made a video with a joke end: Dropping a egg burger on rice. That was the first time I've been to McD's in a decade, and you're right, it does have a distinct flavor -- and it was good.

I would try McD's if I were in Japan. (As long as I were there for a week, so I could eat all sorts of other food, too.) I have heard great things about the menu there.

McD's burgers are a "no time for anything gotta' eat in the car" burgers, to me. The Quarter Pounder with Cheese is my usual go-to burger.

When I go on a road trip, I have a tradition of starting off with a Sausage, egg and cheese McMuffin and Coffee. They do have good coffee, especially for the price.

The only fast food I ever "crave" is the occasional Whataburger, with mayo, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Fries with their amazing ketchup, and iced tea (or maybe a Dr. Pepper).

CD
Neither Whataburgers or In-and-Outs are in this part of the country. I would try them if I ever get to those regions. Very curious.

Have to admit, I did like the sausage egg and cheese McMuffin. That one was fine. And I've always liked their coffee, especially since I finally weaned myself off of putting milk in coffee (unless I run into some really BAAAAD coffee somewhere). Theirs to date hasn't been.

Here in Japan the Egg-guchi (it's a pun on a common Japanese name) is super popular (picture that round Egg McMuffin Egg + a cheeseburger). They also sell a BLT, charge 5USD for the exact same Fillet O Fish you get for 1USD in the states, and make a Teriyaki Burger with that same egg. They also have (or maybe had) the "American Fries": a 1 kilo french fry order.

Anyway, I was made aware of some other combinations and wondered what else was out there:

While the title says McD's, in general, how have Global Fast Food Chains changed their menus in your area?

I don't eat fast food any longer. The older I get, the less tolerant my body is of that garbage. We have a local Bar and Grill that has a hamburger named after me. Its been on the menu for over a decade. Its called the "Billy Burton Mac Attack". Mac n Cheese, Bacon, and BBQ sauce.

The Sidetrack Bar & Grill - Depot Town, Ypsilanti

I don't eat fast food any longer. The older I get, the less tolerant my body is of that garbage. We have a local Bar and Grill that has a hamburger named after me. Its been on the menu for over a decade. Its called the "Billy Burton Mac Attack". Mac n Cheese, Bacon, and BBQ sauce.

The Sidetrack Bar & Grill - Depot Town, Ypsilanti

I just had a vision: weave bacon together, place mac and cheese on it, roll it up and bake then top with bbq sauce. (sigh)

(I better go make some Cloud Bread and a carrot or you and I will both be in the same boat. :wink:

Ok, I'm going on record as saying I like McD's...and BK...and Arby's...and fast food in general.

I like the taste, plain and simple. Something doesn't have to be high-end to be tasty, at least not to me, and the thing about any place is the individual taste profile they present. Nothing else anywhere tastes like a quarter-pounder with cheese.

Can you make a quarter-pound burger at home and slap some cheese on it, with a little ketchup and some minced onion and a pickle slice or two (that's from memory, I haven't actually had QPC in ages)? Sure. Can you get higher quality ingredients for it, hand-fed beef...artisan pickles, farmer's market onions...sure.

Will it taste like McD's? Of course not. Now, you can argue that it tastes "better," but I'd say no, it just tastes different
I agree. And any line cook I know will agree too. Opposite to what many people think of the restaurant industry, most chefs aren't eating gourmet meals every day. That's on their day off if they eat in another restaurant. Most chefs I know eat a humble staff meal at work, and fastfood at home because they can't be bothered cooking.

I like Mcdonalds because it's tasty, filling and convenient. Many a (late night) shift has been ended by a drive through. Of course, that time is long behind me but I still like Mcdonalds. Whether you enjoy it or not, theirs is a unique taste and method.

I really don't like Burger King, because they use a kind of smoke aroma on their burgers that puts me off. I am OK with KFC, and I do very much like Subway too. I guess I am not that picky, most places where food is served have something I will eat and enjoy. I mean in Burger King I still like their ice cream if I have to because other people want to go there.

After all this talk, I think I'll have a drive through this weekend :laugh:

Last edited:
I had a coworker whose husband was a chef at a high end restaurant, and he didn't cook at home! He was tired of cooking from his job and his wife did all the cooking :dance: One of my dad's coworker's is also married to a chef, and she also doesn't cook at home. He does all the cooking!

Speak of the devil...

Oh I like it. A whopper and Big Mac used to be some of my favorite burgers. I'll still on a rare occasion hit Arby's. The problem doesn't lie in the flavor of the food. My 52 year old body doesn't process it very well. My Diverticulitis absolutely hates fast food lol.

Back
Top Bottom