What specialty burger/menu item is on the menu at your local McD's (and other global chains)?

Ok, I'm going on record as saying I like McD's...and BK...and Arby's...and fast food in general.

I like the taste, plain and simple. Something doesn't have to be high-end to be tasty, at least not to me, and the thing about any place is the individual taste profile they present. Nothing else anywhere tastes like a quarter-pounder with cheese.

Can you make a quarter-pound burger at home and slap some cheese on it, with a little ketchup and some minced onion and a pickle slice or two (that's from memory, I haven't actually had QPC in ages)? Sure. Can you get higher quality ingredients for it, hand-fed beef...artisan pickles, farmer's market onions...sure.

Will it taste like McD's? Of course not. Now, you can argue that it tastes "better," but I'd say no, it just tastes different, and if I said, "Boy, I've got the hankering for a McD's QPC," and you said, "I can make you a better one right here," I'd eat that burger, and sincerely thank you for your effort and the meal, but I'd also be thinking, "Must hit McD's in the next day or so, because I'm still wanting that QPC!"

It's like canned tomato soup or supermarket bread or anything like that. Sometimes, even if it's low cost/low quality, it's that specific taste you're after, and it's not about a pursuit for "the best."

My standard McD's order is a cheeseburger, medium fries (no ketchup), and medium unsweetened iced tea, unless I already have a bottle of water handy. A couple of times a year, I'll trade up to a Big Mac.

BK is a little more involved. I rotate between a Whopper Jr. meal (includes fries and drink, medium-sized), no cheese, or a cheeseburger with mayonnaise, pickle, and onion and medium fries.

Arby's is always a medium classic roast beef sandwich, two potato cakes, and about twice a year, I'll upgrade to a beef-n-cheddar.

Ok, I'm going on record as saying I like McD's...and BK...and Arby's...and fast food in general.

I like the taste, plain and simple. Something doesn't have to be high-end to be tasty, at least not to me, and the thing about any place is the individual taste profile they present. Nothing else anywhere tastes like a quarter-pounder with cheese.

Can you make a quarter-pound burger at home and slap some cheese on it, with a little ketchup and some minced onion and a pickle slice or two (that's from memory, I haven't actually had QPC in ages)? Sure. Can you get higher quality ingredients for it, hand-fed beef...artisan pickles, farmer's market onions...sure.

Will it taste like McD's? Of course not. Now, you can argue that it tastes "better," but I'd say no, it just tastes different, and if I said, "Boy, I've got the hankering for a McD's QPC," and you said, "I can make you a better one right here," I'd eat that burger, and sincerely thank you for your effort and the meal, but I'd also be thinking, "Must hit McD's in the next day or so, because I'm still wanting that QPC!"

It's like canned tomato soup or supermarket bread or anything like that. Sometimes, even if it's low cost/low quality, it's that specific taste you're after, and it's not about a pursuit for "the best."

My standard McD's order is a cheeseburger, medium fries (no ketchup), and medium unsweetened iced tea, unless I already have a bottle of water handy. A couple of times a year, I'll trade up to a Big Mac.

BK is a little more involved. I rotate between a Whopper Jr. meal (includes fries and drink, medium-sized), no cheese, or a cheeseburger with mayonnaise, pickle, and onion and medium fries.

Arby's is always a medium classic roast beef sandwich, two potato cakes, and about twice a year, I'll upgrade to a

20200801_142606.jpg

I always hated their fries. So scrawny! They'd be cold in five minutes, and they'd either be over or undercooked - due to their scrawniness.
I have no idea if McD's serves different types of potatoes.

I don't remember their ice cream. I have never ever eaten a chicken nugget, and have no intention of trying even one. (Besides on one of my coops outside, the chickens have posted a warning sign: a photo of a chick holding a machine gun and a belt of bullets, with a saying that reads "You'll NEVER make a Nugget out of me!" )

I almost forgot I worked at McDonalds for two weekends when I was 16! The place I worked was known for the horrible work environment which is why I left. But no, the burgers aren't made of maggots and there's no silicone in the fries either!

Will it taste like McD's? Of course not. Now, you can argue that it tastes "better," but I'd say no, it just tastes different, and if I said, "Boy, I've got the hankering for a McD's
It's like canned tomato soup or supermarket bread or anything like that. Sometimes, even if it's low cost/low quality, it's that specific taste you're after,
No, food doesn't have to be high end to taste good. Nor does all high end food taste good, either. It may be that I came to McDs later in my childhood, and simply think it tastes all wrong to me. Dry and well, not very tasty at all. But I love me a good diner, especially for breakfast meals.

I used to like Wendy's burgers. But Wendy's pretty much disappeared where I lived until now. Went back in 2018 or 9, when I moved up here, and they may have changed their formula. Not as good as i recalled.
Arby's claim to fame is their horseradish sauce. Makes anything there acceptable if not better.

I grew up on my parents' burgers. Round, juicy - flavorful. When I tried a McDonald's burger I was confronted with a dry, tasteless flat hockey puck. Their "special sauce" was ANYTHING but special.

In the 80s, my parents told me they finally stopped at a McDonalds on a road trip. They didn't finish their Big Macs and left. Even with their insistent "finish everything on your plate" upbringing that they (mostly) imparted to me. .
I totally understand you and your parents.
This is why I would want for my kid to try and eat as much real food as possible, so over time, when peer pressure eases, or comparison urge, she would know what to choose.

I do like the mc Coffee from time to time, asnd salads.
For the rest, it is just bridging over and finding a balance between good real food and the rest.

😊

That's two pounds of fries. That's not offered in the US. That is definitely an order of fried for teenagers to share.

To say that "Americans eat like pigs" is like saying "Japanese people can't drive." It's a stereotype. Some Americans eat like pigs, and some Japanese can't drive, but it's not universal.

CD

1. I didn't name it. 2. I said tourists eat it (and walking by the storefronts, that's what I see), not Americans.

Maybe I'll start another thread, but I've traveled all over and if you ask an average person what "American" food is, the answer is some kind of Junk Food, usually in large amounts. Domino's here had a special for a while: The New Yorker: a plain cheese pizza with 1 kilo of cheese.

I'm just mentioning what's actually available. I'm not making a statement.

I like the taste, plain and simple.

Will it taste like McD's? Of course not. Now, you can argue that it tastes "better," but I'd say no, it just tastes different,

Fast food options here are different. If I'm at a mall, for example, I can get udon or soba in (much) less time than Mickey D's. But the other week, I made a video with a joke end: Dropping a egg burger on rice. That was the first time I've been to McD's in a decade, and you're right, it does have a distinct flavor -- and it was good.

Back
Top Bottom