What stove (top)/hob temperature do you typically use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Food Discussions' started by The Late Night Gourmet, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:43 PM.

?
  1. Mostly High

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Mostly Medium

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Mostly Low

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. All temperatures about equally

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. I just posted another recipe, and I also just realized that I almost always have instructions to have the stove set to medium. I find that I use medium heat almost exclusively. Even in recipes where I reduce heat to medium-low, I sometimes just leave it at medium so I can finish a little bit faster. And, I can't think of a recipe I've made where I don't have the heat at medium at some point during the recipe.

But, maybe I'm just risk averse, and there are better ways to do things. What do you do?

2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I'm not sure what temperature ranges you mean by low/medium/high so I haven't ticked the poll. I find most things are 180C. I think that is what you might call high? Or is it medium?

3. detroitdad

detroitdad Senior Member

I'm usually cooking on low to medium heat.

4. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I haven't used the new stove much. Nothing is wrong with it. I've just been using the Ninja Foodi - mainly because it has an air fryer that works kind of like a mini oven, if you will. A little convection oven with a cyclonic fan & a super- powerful heating element that circulates super-heated air to fast-fry. It will keep me from having to use the regular oven on torridly hot days of summer!! :wink:

5. Here's what I'm talking about; something like this is how most stoves over here are controlled:

Stove-Top-Temperature-Control-Knob-1-9.jpg

I usually have things between 5 and 6.

6. morning glory

Oh - so that is gas marks? We haven't used that system here for a very long time. Most recipes specify the temperature in centigrade for ovens. I'll need to look up the correlation between UK and US oven temperatures. We are talking about oven here? I'm now getting worried that you mean something else - like hobs? :unsure:

7. morning glory

I am now thinking you mean stove top or as it is most commonly called in the UK 'hob'. Its US/UK confusion on my part!

8. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

Stove knobs..jpg

Here are mine, if you can see them. Numbered from about 1 to 8. The stove is electric. The oven has an interior light. :wink:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    morning glory likes this.
  9. morning glory

OK - we are talking stovetop or hob. I'll amend the thread title so that we all understand!

Shermie likes this.
  10. morning glory

I often start things off high, reduce to medium and then finally to low. I ticked 'all temperatures equally' but it varies enormously depending on what I'm cooking. Simmering starts high and then goes low. Boiling is medium. Stir-fry is high etc.

Shermie likes this.
  11. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

So do I. Especially diced or cubed potatoes. To get the water hot quickly. But then, I turn the burner off when the water begins to boil, then let them sit in the hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes. Bang, boom, they're done!! :wink:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    morning glory likes this.
  12. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I think, in essence, he is asking what position of the knobs for heat do we use for cooking on the stove top. In our country, we call a stove that does not have an oven a cooktop. In every apt that I've lived in, I've always had a stove with an oven - one unit together. :wink:

13. rascal

rascal Über Member

My 4 cooking elements are in the top itself. Goes from low to high with many variables. The oven has elements in the top for grilling and a bottom one for everyday cooking.or roasting. That has switches for however you want cooking cooked. Temp is 0 to about 300 deg, I tend to bake/roast around 160 to 180.

Russ

14. MrsDangermouse

MrsDangermouse Senior Member

I currently have a gas hob and use all the rings and all the temperature settings pretty much equally. I usually use a high setting to get the pan up to temperature and then reduce the heat (a bit or a lot depending on what I'm cooking) - there are no set numbers, you just turn the flame down until its at the perfect level. I do love how gas is so controllable and how the heat changes instantly, I'd hate to go back to electric solid plates or ceramic.

I'm hoping to switch to induction within the next couple of years and I've heard that you often don't need to use the rings at full power because of the more efficient heat transfer.

15. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

We use gas and usually between gas mark 5-6, it is only oven chips that are gas mark 7. Any recipes we use shows gas mark number and temperature in centigrade.