What stove (top)/hob temperature do you typically use?

What stove temperature do you typically use?

• Mostly High

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Mostly Medium

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly Low

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • All temperatures about equally

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:52 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I just posted another recipe, and I also just realized that I almost always have instructions to have the stove set to medium. I find that I use medium heat almost exclusively. Even in recipes where I reduce heat to medium-low, I sometimes just leave it at medium so I can finish a little bit faster. And, I can't think of a recipe I've made where I don't have the heat at medium at some point during the recipe.

But, maybe I'm just risk averse, and there are better ways to do things. What do you do?

I'm not sure what temperature ranges you mean by low/medium/high so I haven't ticked the poll. I find most things are 180C. I think that is what you might call high? Or is it medium?

I haven't used the new stove much. Nothing is wrong with it. I've just been using the Ninja Foodi - mainly because it has an air fryer that works kind of like a mini oven, if you will. A little convection oven with a cyclonic fan & a super- powerful heating element that circulates super-heated air to fast-fry. It will keep me from having to use the regular oven on torridly hot days of summer!! :wink:

I'm not sure what temperature ranges you mean by low/medium/high so I haven't ticked the poll. I find most things are 180C. I think that is what you might call high? Or is it medium?
Here's what I'm talking about; something like this is how most stoves over here are controlled:

Stove-Top-Temperature-Control-Knob-1-9.jpg

I usually have things between 5 and 6.

Here's what I'm talking about; something like this is how most stoves over here are controlled:

View attachment 28545

Oh - so that is gas marks? We haven't used that system here for a very long time. Most recipes specify the temperature in centigrade for ovens. I'll need to look up the correlation between UK and US oven temperatures. We are talking about oven here? I'm now getting worried that you mean something else - like hobs? :unsure:

Stove knobs..jpg

Here are mine, if you can see them. Numbered from about 1 to 8. The stove is electric. The oven has an interior light. :wink:

Last edited:
I often start things off high, reduce to medium and then finally to low. I ticked 'all temperatures equally' but it varies enormously depending on what I'm cooking. Simmering starts high and then goes low. Boiling is medium. Stir-fry is high etc.

I often start things off high, reduce to medium and then finally to low. I ticked 'all temperatures equally' but it varies enormously depending on what I'm cooking. Simmering starts high and then goes low. Boiling is medium. Stir-fry is high etc.

So do I. Especially diced or cubed potatoes. To get the water hot quickly. But then, I turn the burner off when the water begins to boil, then let them sit in the hot water for about 15 to 20 minutes. Bang, boom, they're done!! :wink:

Last edited:
OK - we are talking stovetop or hob. I'll amend the thread title so that we all understand!

I think, in essence, he is asking what position of the knobs for heat do we use for cooking on the stove top. In our country, we call a stove that does not have an oven a cooktop. In every apt that I've lived in, I've always had a stove with an oven - one unit together. :wink:

My 4 cooking elements are in the top itself. Goes from low to high with many variables. The oven has elements in the top for grilling and a bottom one for everyday cooking.or roasting. That has switches for however you want cooking cooked. Temp is 0 to about 300 deg, I tend to bake/roast around 160 to 180.

Russ

I currently have a gas hob and use all the rings and all the temperature settings pretty much equally. I usually use a high setting to get the pan up to temperature and then reduce the heat (a bit or a lot depending on what I'm cooking) - there are no set numbers, you just turn the flame down until its at the perfect level. I do love how gas is so controllable and how the heat changes instantly, I'd hate to go back to electric solid plates or ceramic.

I'm hoping to switch to induction within the next couple of years and I've heard that you often don't need to use the rings at full power because of the more efficient heat transfer.

View attachment 28545

Oh - so that is gas marks? We haven't used that system here for a very long time. Most recipes specify the temperature in centigrade for ovens. I'll need to look up the correlation between UK and US oven temperatures. We are talking about oven here? I'm now getting worried that you mean something else - like hobs? :unsure:

We use gas and usually between gas mark 5-6, it is only oven chips that are gas mark 7. Any recipes we use shows gas mark number and temperature in centigrade.

Back
Top Bottom