What strange items do you have in your fridge or freezer?

We don’t have / raise them. Years ago we used to trap them when my Dad was alive. Now we get the meat from local trappers (if you can find one of the few still around).

In the wild they are pretty much omnivores and will eat insects, fish, frogs, plants, etc.

We don’t have / raise them. Years ago we used to trap them when my Dad was alive. Now we get the meat from local trappers (if you can find one of the few still around).

In the wild they are pretty much omnivores and will eat insects, fish, frogs, plants, etc.

Wow I'm gunna have to learn more about them, I've heard of them but that's all.

Russ

I'm not sure what species the meat Backbay has is from, but the largest snapping turtles in the US are alligator snapping turtles. They are protected from harvest in several states. They can exceed 200 lbs in weight. They can use their tongues as lures to catch fish.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what species the meat Backbay has is from, but the largest snapping turtles in the US are alligator snapping turtles. They protected from harvest in several states. They can exceed 200 lbs in weight.

I havnt tried turtle soup and don't think I ever would.

Russ

I'm not sure what species the meat Backbay has is from, but the largest snapping turtles in the US are alligator snapping turtles. They are protected from harvest in several states. They can exceed 200 lbs in weight. They can use their tongues as lures to catch fish.
No alligator snappers up here... just common snapping turtles, chelydra serpentine (sp?) . The biggest usually weigh in about 50 pounds but those are few and far between.

I havnt tried turtle soup and don't think I ever would.

Russ

They farm turtles for meat now, have for quite a few years ago. If you can get past the cute turtle image (I can't ), it would be the same as eating chicken, pork, beef or lamb.

It keeps longer. A little nutmeg goes a long way and a bottle has four or five whole ones in it, which literally lasts years...and I use it three or four times a week.

I keep one nutmeg "ball" in the pantry, and vacuum seal and freeze the rest.

Back before digital took over photography, I kept film -- lots of film -- in my fridge. I bought it in bulk to save money. Friends would bring beer over to the house, put it in the fridge, and ask, "What are you doing with all this film in your fridge?"

Another way digital is better than film -- film is unstable and sensitive to heat.

CD

I keep batteries in the fridge. I understand the cold allows them to keep longer, but no idea if this is true or wishful thinking. At least I don't have to hunt around the house for them when I need them.

I do have a small last bit of eel in my freezer. Pancake batter - I make excess and freeze the rest. And then I want pancakes for breakfast a few weeks later, and forget to have thawed out the old batter, so suddenly there's a second batch of excess batter in there... Oh, and there are balls in the freezer, as well. One package that used to belong to bison...

Back
Top Bottom