What time do you prefer to get up in the morning?

Well I prefer to get up around natural waking time, i.e. between 9 - 10 a.m. Today is an exception! I naturally woke up at least an hour before this - perhaps because of the heat. I need to do a food shop in the morning to ward off the worst heat excesses (a few degrees lower at least)! I have high blood pressure and am overweight - both of which are risky in hot weather. Needless to say a french baguette with cold deli stuff and salad will be the order of the day(s) + fruit juice/fruits!

Well I prefer to get up around natural waking time, i.e. between 9 - 10 a.m. Today is an exception! I naturally woke up at least an hour before this - perhaps because of the heat. I need to do a food shop in the morning to ward off the worst heat excesses (a few degrees lower at least)! I have high blood pressure and am overweight - both of which are risky in hot weather. Needless to say a french baguette with cold deli stuff and salad will be the order of the day(s) + fruit juice/fruits!

I can't stand this hot weather - many folk here would not consider it hot here though! Its partly the humidity. I sit with a fan perched on a table blowing directly at me!

I can't stand this hot weather - many folk here would not consider it hot here though! Its partly the humidity. I sit with a fan perched on a table blowing directly at me!
Yes I dislike humidity - makes movement more laboured.

I have only recently become more heat savvy, e.g. to draw the curtains when it is hot outside - keeps the room cool but I daresay you would dislike this tip being into light in a big way! :okay: A wet (wrung out) towel, pegged onto a clothes hanger and placed in an opened window also cools.

I have several ways of keeping cool when out and about, e.g. asking for a glass of water in a pub (they always oblige) and ask if I want ice! After the drink I keep an icecube to rub on my wrists (I don't care about looking odd!) I always keep a small spray bottle filled with water (something I started when I went through the menopause. I keep it in the fridge prior to going out). It's such a boon to be able to spray it on my face and hair, to cool down, e.g. on a hot bus! When buying an ice lolly, I have been known to place my hands on the ice within the freezer! Ha - what a joy it is to be a carefree eccentric!
rolleyespink.gif

Last edited:
Really? Not sure about that i.e. I can feel an iced drink cooling my body down almost immediately.
It's immediate effect is cooling, longer than 30 minutes and it starts actually increasing body temperature. Your body has to work harder to bring it up to body temperature.

Try a warm drink and see the difference.

I seldom sleep beyond 05:00, at this time of year I usually get up earlier. I love to walk the dogs down the lane and through the woods. Our usual route takes about 45 mins, then I can be home, changed and off to the gym when it opens at 06:00 for a swim. There is something quite magical about being out walking so early when most are still in bed, - it's like you've got the world all to yourself! Also being first at the gym in a morning and having the pool all to yourself - slipping into the completely calm, still and ripple free water.
after a couple and dinner, and, if I have nothing on, I start to fade around 930..usually in bed around 10 or 11
Same here!

It's immediate effect is cooling, longer than 30 minutes and it starts actually increasing body temperature. Your body has to work harder to bring it up to body temperature.

Try a warm drink and see the difference.
My reading of that situation is different. Notably, that the cool drink DOES effectively cool the body down but that this is somewhat temporary. The body's temperature then starts to regain its former state, i.e. nothing to do with the drink warming up the body but I do concede that the body has to work harder in restoring back to its former state. The body works harder over all sorts of things, e.g. exercise.

My reading of that situation is different. Notably, that the cool drink DOES effectively cool the body down but that this is somewhat temporary. The body's temperature then starts to regain its former state, i.e. nothing to do with the drink warming up the body but I do concede that the body has to work harder in restoring back to its former state. The body works harder over all sorts of things, e.g. exercise.
And if you're not exercising after having that cold drink(you're sat down, reading maybe) why would the body be working harder, other than to bring it up to body temperature? You'll sweat more, whilst doing less.

And if you're not exercising after having that cold drink(you're sat down, reading maybe) why would the body be working harder, other than to bring it up to body temperature? You'll sweat more, whilst doing less.
I didn't disagree with what you question here. You said that the cold drink makes you warmer whereas I am saying it DOES cool you but temporarily; thereafter the body restores its equilibrium. I would notice if the cold drink would make me sweat afterwards...that's patently not the case!

Even with your humidity, that would be considered a cool front here. I just checked your temp. We just open our windows with that temperature, but since you aren't used to that warm I understand.
Right now I am at 94 (34.4C) and by 5 o'clock it will be 103 (39.4).

Ladies do not take this wrong, but wait till late November to visit Texas. I will send you home Mid-January.

Last edited:
Even with your humidity, that would be considered a cool front here. I just checked your temp. We just open our windows with that temperature, but since you aren't used to that warm I understand.
Right now I am at 94 (34.4C) and by 5 o'clock it will be 103 (39.4).

If I open the windows I'm deafened by traffic on the road outside...

Really? Not sure about that i.e. I can feel an iced drink cooling my body down almost immediately.
A Hot Drink on a Hot Day Can Cool You Down
A rigorous experiment revealed that on a hot, dry day, drinking a hot beverage can help your body stay cool

By Joseph Stromberg
SMITHSONIAN.COM
JULY 10, 2012
pretty much the whole country. As we pondered the fact that this sort of weather could well become the norm in future decades due to climate change, we also remembered a counterintuitive cooling technique that many of us had heard of but doubted. In many countries around the world, conventional wisdom says that you can cool down on a hot day by drinking a hot beverage.

We got in touch with Ollie Jay, a researcher at University of Ottawa’s School of Human Kinetics—and an expert in all things sweat-related—to ask a pressing question: is this claim for real? His Thermal Ergonomics Lab, it turned out, had published a study on this topic just a few months ago.

Their answer, in short: Yes, a hot drink can cool you down, but only in specific circumstances. “If you drink a hot drink, it does result in a lower amount of heat stored inside your body, provided the additional sweat that’s produced when you drink the hot drink can evaporate,” Jay says.

How does this work? “What we found is that when you ingest a hot drink, you actually have a disproportionate increase in the amount that you sweat,” Jay says. “Yes, the hot drink is hotter than your body temperature, so you are adding heat to the body, but the amount that you increase your sweating by—if that can all evaporate—more than compensates for the the added heat to the body from the fluid.”

The increased rate of perspiration is the key. Although sweat may seem like a nuisance, the body perspires for a very good reason. When sweat evaporates from the skin, energy is absorbed into the air as part of the reaction, thereby cooling the body. A larger amount of sweat means more cooling, which more than counteracts the small amount of heat contained in a hot beverage relative to the entire body.

The caveat, though, is that all that extra sweat produced as a result of the hot drink actually has to evaporate for it to have a cooling effect. “On a very hot and humid day, if you’re wearing a lot of clothing, or if you’re having so much sweat that it starts to drip on the ground and doesn’t evaporate from the skin’s surface, then drinking a hot drink is a bad thing,” Jay says. “The hot drink still does add a little heat to the body, so if the sweat’s not going to assist in evaporation, go for a cold drink.”

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/a-hot-drink-on-a-hot-day-can-cool-you-down-

You want to cool down, don't drink anything cold. You'll just get warmer.
I used to go to a Chinese takeaway that had no air conditioning; just the exhaust fans over the woks. On hot Summer days when it would get above 35°C, the cooks and counter staff would drink a lukewarm tea made of some kind of young bamboo shoots and roots. I couldn't understand how they could drink something warm when the temp by the woks had to be 46°, but they said it cooled them down. It must work because I would have melted in such a place, but they were fine working 12 hour days, day after day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom