What to do if you add to much chilli to a curry

overdo the chilli heat
Epic mate, I only use the batch cooking method now. I precook the meat in a spicy broth then remove the meat and let it cool. For the gravy I use ground pepper for heat and chilies for flavor. I make the gravy in a wok out of the adjusted base recipe ingredients. If I have time I make the gravy first and let it sit for 24 hrs. This method allows you to make and adjust it to your taste quickly and easily.

Fixed that for you.

There is something very appealing in that idea. Maybe if I send you half of it, you can fix it and tell me how to fix my half?

Feel free. I'd be curious to know how hot it is to me. I've made curries that I consider kormas that some have found hot.

Will investigate postage options! You may have created a new business opportunity here!

Indeed. The idea of door to door is very appealing...

Cheap Parcel Delivery & Courier Service - Hermes

I received the errant mutton curry from epicuric yesterday (by courier) and gave it another two hours cooking as instructed. In my view this is not a hot curry. I'd rank it as 'medium hot'. I also tested it on my partner who can't take curries as hot as I do. He had no problem.

It could be that the extra cooking mellowed the taste due to the mutton breaking down into it somewhat - though I did taste the sauce/gravy before cooking further and didn't find it too hot. Its very different from the curries I make - this tastes much sweeter/fruitier. I think there may be apples in there somewhere but I may be wrong. The chilli heat leaves a good tingle in the mouth after each mouthful but not so much that you want to reach for the cold milk/yoghurt. The mutton is top notch and a delight with a slight gamey flavour.

epicuric, if you want to temper the heat in this curry, cook up some red lentils in water (about 30g, I'd guess for the 2 person curry portion sent to me). If you have black cardamom add a couple whole as the lentils simmer. Use approx. double the volume of water to lentils adding more if it dries out. Squidge the cardamom as the lentils simmer to release their flavour, then remove. Blitz the lentils to a creamy consistency (add water if required) and add to the curry. I'd also consider serving this with a mild spinach curry side dish and yoghurt.

I want to give big thank you to epicuric for going to the trouble of posting this to me. You will in due course get something sent from me.

So, dinner tonight is sorted - and I'm serving it with rice and spinach. Here is how it looks:

I thought you were joking about the food delivery but congrats 😍

I thought you were joking about the food delivery but congrats 😍

No way. Hermes does door to door in the UK for £2.50. Brilliant! And I will be sending epicuric a reciprocated curry in a while. I'd love to be able to do food swaps with members abroad but I think it gets a bit pricey.

No way. Hermes does door to door in the UK for £2.50. Brilliant! And I will be sending epicuric a reciprocated curry in a while. I'd love to be able to do food swaps with members abroad but I think it gets a bit pricey.

Not just pricey, but the food will probably spoil in the time it takes to get here, and pass through customs.

CD

I received the errant mutton curry from epicuric yesterday (by courier) and gave it another two hours cooking as instructed. In my view this is not a hot curry. I'd rank it as 'medium hot'. I also tested it on my partner who can't take curries as hot as I do. He had no problem.

It could be that the extra cooking mellowed the taste due to the mutton breaking down into it somewhat - though I did taste the sauce/gravy before cooking further and didn't find it too hot. Its very different from the curries I make - this tastes much sweeter/fruitier. I think there may be apples in there somewhere but I may be wrong. The chilli heat leaves a good tingle in the mouth after each mouthful but not so much that you want to reach for the cold milk/yoghurt. The mutton is top notch and a delight with a slight gamey flavour.

epicuric, if you want to temper the heat in this curry, cook up some red lentils in water (about 30g, I'd guess for the 2 person curry portion sent to me). If you have black cardamom add a couple whole as the lentils simmer. Use approx. double the volume of water to lentils adding more if it dries out. Squidge the cardamom as the lentils simmer to release their flavour, then remove. Blitz the lentils to a creamy consistency (add water if required) and add to the curry. I'd also consider serving this with a mild spinach curry side dish and yoghurt.

I want to give big thank you to epicuric for going to the trouble of posting this to me. You will in due course get something sent from me.

So, dinner tonight is sorted - and I'm serving it with rice and spinach. Here is how it looks:

View attachment 48512

View attachment 48513
I am so pleased you liked it. Maybe I was being too impatient. I shall retrieve the other half from the freezer this week and cook it down a bit more, maybe posting it to myself via Hermes might help too. If it's still too hot, I will try your lentil trick. Funny you should mention the accompaniment - I had made a mild aubergine curry as a side! Thank you so much for coming to the rescue!

I am so pleased you liked it. Maybe I was being too impatient. I shall retrieve the other half from the freezer this week and cook it down a bit more, maybe posting it to myself via Hermes might help too. If it's still too hot, I will try your lentil trick. Funny you should mention the accompaniment - I had made a mild aubergine curry as a side! Thank you so much for coming to the rescue!

'Twas my pleasure. I enjoyed it very much. I'd like to know what was in it. I have also saved a bit in the freezer for my friend who is coming back later this week. It will be interesting to see if he thinks it too hot. I have a higher chilli threshold than he does.

'Twas my pleasure. I enjoyed it very much. I'd like to know what was in it. I have also saved a bit in the freezer for my friend who is coming back later this week. It will be interesting to see if he thinks it too hot. I have a higher chilli threshold than he does.
Excellent! This was the recipe:
Curry mutton recipe
I don't think I got as far as adding the chocolate.

Are you sure - the sauce was very dark? I am also wondering why I thought it tasted fruity and a bit sweet. I suppose it could be the pomegranate molasses...
Sorry, I found out that I did add the chocolate - I found the part used packet in the cupboard!

Oh dear. I never use bird's eye (prik kee noo here) in curries or chillis. Tom yam yes, but they go in there whole so can be easily removed.

I use different chillis for different dishes. For chilli con carne I use Thai hot fresh and cayenne fresh chillis. For curries I use Thai hot fresh and also dried in some cases. For tom yam we use prik kee noo. For salsa I use Thai hot fresh and cayenne fresh. Notwithstanding the type of chilli peppers, the heat can vary enormously between different batches. Very much trial and error.

Back
Top Bottom