What to do when you don’t feel like cooking?

My first fallback is "grazing" on leftovers and snacks. Next would be a sandwich, which isn't actually "cooking," just assembly.

I rarely have food delivered, except pizza, and that is usually when I am craving pizza, not when I don't want to cook anything. Same with my favorite fast food, Whataburger. I get a craving for that once in a while. Oh, and the occasional Jersey Mike's Italian Sub.

Fast food at the drive-thru is pretty much limited to when I am on the road, and don't have time for anything else.

CD

I've looked at some of those. There is not as much variety here as there apparently is there, but we are getting an HEB store soon, and they have a big selection of "to go" meals. The big problem with the one's I have looked at is that they have an ungodly amount of sodium. The one in your photo has 1.35g of "salt" (sodium). My daily allowance of sodium is 2g.

CD

2 nights ago, I came back late from work, as almost every day, past 9 pm, and I was snacking for the last 3 hours or so, so I felt hungry, with zero desire to cook or assembly or even open the fridge, to all the known ingredients. So, after spending 45 min browsing the offers for takeout deliveries, we landed on a McD, I had grilled chicken breast over lettuce, kid had cheeseburgers. few weeks back we had wok takeouts.

sometimes we resort to supermarket gastro depts, for grilled chicken or a schnitzel, and some sides. it is less expensive than takeouts.

We can't afford it very often, or I do not want to spend so much on takeouts, because that money can get us a lot of good ingredients, and sustain us for longer than a meal, so I sometimes cook even if I don't want to, opting for hands free dishes, like bked meatloaf, or alike.

roasted almonds and fruit, or pecan nuts, or a toasted sandwich are another option.

We live too far out of town for delivery.

Yeah - the UK is tiny really, hence the more or less comprehensive supermarket delivery systems across England. Less so in Scotland. I'm not sure about Northern Ireland and Wales. We even have new systems which have popped up like Beelivery, where their drivers will personally scour the supermarket to pack and pick your order. Delivery is within about 20-60 minutes for Beelivery.

There are also plenty of local Indian, Chinese and pizza restaurants which deliver as well as several national companies that deliver food from a range of local chain restaurants such (McDonalds, KFC, Nandos etc). Many of these deliver by bicycle.

So if I really didn't want to cook I could have a meal on the table in no time!

The big problem with the one's I have looked at is that they have an ungodly amount of sodium. The one in your photo has 1.35g of "salt" (sodium). My daily allowance of sodium is 2g.

Here the 'powers that be' have been steadily reducing the amount of salt in prepared food over the last few years. I usually end up adding salt. It must be difficult for you really because there must be high salt content in any 'take out' or restaurant meals.

Here the 'powers that be' have been steadily reducing the amount of salt in prepared food over the last few years. I usually end up adding salt. It must be difficult for you really because there must be high salt content in any 'take out' or restaurant meals.

When I was traveling 150 days in a year, it was hard to eat healthy. Then, it was calories and fat, and to some degree sodium and sugars. Now, sodium is the big enemy. My body can't get rid of sodium fast enough, so if I consume too much of it, I can easily gain five pounds in fluid weight in one day. Then I have to take a load of diuretics, and pee every ten minutes for six hours to lose that water weight.

Yes, restaurant food is loaded with sodium. Salt also seems to build up a tolerance, like drugs and alcohol. The more you consume, the less you taste it, so you gradually add more and more salt to your food. But, as you cut back, at first you feel deprived of salt, but over time, you get used to the lower salt, and it tastes normal. I now find myself at a restaurant, thinking, "This is good, but it has too much salt."

CD

When I was traveling 150 days in a year, it was hard to eat healthy. Then, it was calories and fat, and to some degree sodium and sugars. Now, sodium is the big enemy. My body can't get rid of sodium fast enough, so if I consume too much of it, I can easily gain five pounds in fluid weight in one day. Then I have to take a load of diuretics, and pee every ten minutes for six hours to lose that water weight.

Yes, restaurant food is loaded with sodium. Salt also seems to build up a tolerance, like drugs and alcohol. The more you consume, the less you taste it, so you gradually add more and more salt to your food. But, as you cut back, at first you feel deprived of salt, but over time, you get used to the lower salt, and it tastes normal. I now find myself at a restaurant, thinking, "This is good, but it has too much salt."

CD
I've cut out a lot of salt ..very little processed food. And, when I do, I really notice the salt..so, I take a quick chug of beer to rinse it down..
🤪

Back
Top Bottom