What to do with sauerkraut liquid?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:45 AM
So I buy the bagged sauerkraut from the produce department, the kind that has to be kept cold. The jarred and canned stuff don't have all the good probiotics in it from the fermentation because it's been pasteurized (not like it matters that much since I am going to cook it anyway which will kill all the good bacteria). Hubby swears it tastes better and he likes it from the bag so that's all that matters. I don't really like the stuff that much though I will probably eat a few of the sauerkraut balls.

Anyway, there is always that liquid in the bag. I am making a big batch of sauerkraut balls today and I just drained the liquid and put it into a jar to keep in the refrigerator. Does anyone have good ideas on what to do with it? I poured a little bit on hubby's corned beef hash that I made him since I cooked a corned beef brisket to use in the sauerkraut balls and he liked it quite well, but I don't make him hash every day.

The first two things that pop into my mind are to use it in a salad dressing, or to use it to marinate meat.

I'm not familiar with your exact product, but sometimes I buy kraut, and it's just packed in water and salt, but sometimes, it's also got wine in there.

Funny, too, in that just yesterday, I watched a kraut taste test by ATK, and I learned a little something. Here's the vid:

View: https://youtu.be/3941JA3mMY0

I'll eat or drink anything in the pursuit of good health...I try and balance out my good and bad habits and fall way behind in the good category..I would drink some occasionally..like a shooter..then chase with a bit of water..probably an hour after dinner..yeah..I know..my wife is right..I am a weirdo...

I'll eat or drink anything in the pursuit of good health...I try and balance out my good and bad habits and fall way behind in the good category..I would drink some occasionally..like a shooter..then chase with a bit of water..probably an hour after dinner..yeah..I know..my wife is right..I am a weirdo...
No, nothing wrong with a good probiotic. Good for stabilizing blood sugar and a healthy metabolism...if someone needed to drop a few pounds drinking a shot regularly would probably help a lot. It's the vinegar in it for one thing in addition to the fermentation thing. I already take ACV gummies that taste a lot better, LOL.

The meat marinade is a great idea, TR!

Google says you can make a sauerkraut martini with it.

Common sense says you shouldn't. :headshake:

I started making the sauerkraut balls tiday, I'll bread them tomorrow. My KitchenAid food grinder is awesome, I ground that corned beef and it came out great.

20220115_181341.jpg

The first two things that pop into my mind are to use it in a salad dressing, or to use it to marinate meat.

I'm not familiar with your exact product, but sometimes I buy kraut, and it's just packed in water and salt, but sometimes, it's also got wine in there.

Funny, too, in that just yesterday, I watched a kraut taste test by ATK, and I learned a little something. Here's the vid:

View: https://youtu.be/3941JA3mMY0
You definitely know your kraut!

I got some funny ideas to play around with the sauerkraut juice. How about sauerkraut gummy bears, sauerkraut sherbet, sauerkraut bread or as a base for tea/coffee? All of the ideas are based on the ideal of no waste in the kitchen and I don't know if any of these ideas can actually taste good

So I buy the bagged sauerkraut from the produce department, the kind that has to be kept cold. The jarred and canned stuff don't have all the good probiotics in it from the fermentation because it's been pasteurized (not like it matters that much since I am going to cook it anyway which will kill all the good bacteria). Hubby swears it tastes better and he likes it from the bag so that's all that matters. I don't really like the stuff that much though I will probably eat a few of the sauerkraut balls.

Anyway, there is always that liquid in the bag. I am making a big batch of sauerkraut balls today and I just drained the liquid and put it into a jar to keep in the refrigerator. Does anyone have good ideas on what to do with it? I poured a little bit on hubby's corned beef hash that I made him since I cooked a corned beef brisket to use in the sauerkraut balls and he liked it quite well, but I don't make him hash every day.
I'd be happy to throw it out as surplus, just to get those balls you made, man they looked dam good. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom