What to do with squash?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Local time
12:32 PM
That squash is huge, could easily do harm :blackeye:
That's how you get their apples!

I have never cooked with squash before, the idea has never appealed. I will be giving it a go now though.
They can be a real pain to peel. Most popular things I can think of are soup (puréed), roasted (easy), or in a ravioli (or mixed in with pasta).

Seriously, though, I do have a dead easy apple cake. Comes together in a couple of minutes, it's just a single layer, no frosting, perfect for tea. Might be a good way to get your feet wet. Let me know if you want it.

medtran49

Veteran
Local time
12:32 PM
We've made a cubed roasted butternut squash, Italian sausage, farfalle pasta dish that is pretty good. Craig made chicken marsala and added roasted butternut cubes. We've also made a vegetarian pie using butternut, poblano chiles, maybe some kind of cheese, plus other things. If you want recipes for the pasta or pie, let me know.

ElizabethB

Über Member
Local time
11:32 AM
Love spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute or herbed as a side. Roasted Acorn or Butternut squash or both wonderful.
Squash is so versatile
As long as I can remember I made pumpkin bread. Guess what? Other squashes also make great Breads.
I am not a big fan of curry but I can see how squash would be perfect. Really absorbs flavor.
I remember Mother cooking PattyPan squash with nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar for dessert.

Top Bottom