What type of cookware do you have?

Pictures?

@morning glory

Yes, I made a Lobster Rice in one .. It is posted in the Firsh / Seafood Section. But I can take a photo of it tomorrow empty. Actually the one I am talking about is from Gerona, 1 hour north of Barcelona and it was my grandmother´s .. Then my mother´s .. Any thing prepared or cooked in this red clay Earthenware is amazing. Very seasoned !! I will do some photographs tomorrow.

I was on holiday recently and the self catering cottage had one of those light pans with a sort of mottled 'stone' lining. I fried some bacon, without oil/fat and then did a sort of scrambled egg in the same pan. I was quite impressed with its unstickiness, but I don't have a clue as to the make.
Hi. I don't know if we have the same type bacon, but here you never put oil in a pan to cook bacon because the bacon renders the fat to cook the eggs in.
Do you not use bacon fat over there?

I never put oil in the pan either, but some bacon sold here has all the fat trimmed off.
If you trim all the fat off the bacon, you don't have much meat. I am guessing the trimmed bacon is not in slices or rashers.
Oh and I found me a double boiler pan today.

If you trim all the fat off the bacon, you don't have much meat. I am guessing the trimmed bacon is not in slices or rashers.
Oh and I found me a double boiler pan today.
It is in rashers, but we often use back bacon, which has most of the fat along one edge rather than through it like streaky bacon.

It is in rashers, but we often use back bacon, which has most of the fat along one edge rather than through it like streaky bacon.
Thanks, now I know when posting recipes with bacon to specify streaky bacon if you need the fat.

Bacon without fat is an abomination. As for beef! Where is the beef fat we used to have, crisp & full of flavour.
It's still out there, but harder to find and more expensive. If you can find a local producer who rears grass fed traditional breed cattle then you can enjoy the beef of old. Most commercial beef these days is from Aberdeen Angus cross cattle, fed on manufactured feed, full of supplements to mature the beast as quickly as possible whilst minimising input costs. The beef is also wet aged (in vac packs) which is much easier and cheaper than dry ageing. Traditional breeds take longer to mature, especially when fed naturally on grass, and yield far less meat than commercial breeds. Dry ageing also gives better flavour, but takes up more space, thus is more expensive. Locally we are lucky to have small scale farmers who rear Hereford, Longhorn and Dexter breeds and sell at the farm gate. A pair of 28 day+ dry aged sirloin steaks will set you back £16-£18, but well work it as an occasional treat.

If you can find a local producer who rears grass fed traditional breed cattle then you can enjoy the beef of old.

The milk is much nicer too :D The difference between the milk I get from the farm and that which the milkman delivers is noticeable, even though both are organic whole milk.

This " Cazuela " ( earthenware clay ) oven and stove top mythic cooking vessel, was my paternal grandmother´s .. It is simply amazing to cook in. I prepare paellas and risottos in it, and fresh fish in White wine .. It is simply sensational ..

TERRACOTTABARRO20170628_144611.jpg

Lidl do a great multi purpose frying pan by Ernesto..mines is about 5 year old its been in the oven/ under to grill /curry's cooked in breakfast cooked in i even cooked a nice omelette this morning in it....in fact everything has been cooked in it and its still going strong its fairly heavy but is my my opinion on of the best pans about for the money you pay for it they come in various sizes
P1000868.JPG

Lidl do a great multi purpose frying pan by Ernesto..mines is about 5 year old its been in the oven/ under to grill /curry's cooked in breakfast cooked in i even cooked a nice omelette this morning in it....in fact everything has been cooked in it and its still going strong its fairly heavy but is my my opinion on of the best pans about for the money you pay for it they come in various sizes View attachment 9141

@lothian

It is interesting, how we all have our "favorite cooking vessels, pots, pans etcetra" ..

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom