What type of onions do you use to cook with?

We grow Sturon and Red Baron onions and I tend to use whichever are the right size for what I need or whichever need using up first. They're both pretty strong-tasting varieties which we like, though actually they were chosen as much for their growing characteristics as they were for the taste!
When our home-grown ones have run out we just buy a big bag of generic brown onions for everyday use, though occasionally I'll buy shallots or red onions just for variety or if I want something to look pretty.

We also use a lot of spring onions....the normal thin ones and also the big fat jumbo ones. We grow them too :D

I tend to use what are called brown onions.

We can get all sorts here in Australia from white onions to green onions which are just like brown onions only green! They are not spring onions. So I can get white, green, red or brown onions. The "odd veg" options are just brown onions so far.

What we can't get are the varieties so Spanish onions or any named variety is out of the question unless you grow your own .onions are the one veg I repeatedly fail at growing for some reason.

Green onions look like your spring onions but they are available all year long. When i was a kid we always called them scallions but now the stores lable them green onions, i assume they are the same.

My stores in addition to green onions sell vidalias, yellow, white, red and pearl onions...sometime you find onions called spanish onions not sure how they differ from yellow onions, they look like yellow onions to me.

I have green onions (scallions) in the garden year round
Use it salad and sauce and for garnish
Most of the time I use yellow onions. Shallots for more refined recipes. Red onions when a nice touch of color is needed. Sweet onion on occasion
There was a challenge to create dessert with onions. I made a fried Dim Sum with a sweet onion filled. I impressed myself with that one.
I can not cook without onions and garlic.

Back
Top Bottom