What was your impulse buy while waiting in long checkout lines?

CraigC

Veteran
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
12:37 PM
Most stores of any kind have "point of sale" displays just for that purpose.

medtran49

Veteran
Local time
In the States, they have the checkout aisles lined with candy, gum, magazines, the sensationalist newspapers, sometimes little toys, various doohickeys, individual packs of over-the-counter medications, etc. I really hate the fact they put candy and gum in the aisles because I've seen kids have major tantrums because mom/dad said no.

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:37 PM
n the States, they have the checkout aisles lined with candy, gum, magazines, the sensationalist newspapers, sometimes little toys, various doohickeys, individual packs of over-the-counter medications, etc. I really hate the fact they put candy and gum in the aisles because I've seen kids have major tantrums because mom/dad said no.
They stopped putting sweets (candy) near the checkouts here quite a few years ago. If anything, its healthy snacks.

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Local time
I'm actually really good about that. Rarely, almost never tempted by any of that stuff. Strange, because I do like my sweets and salty snacks, too.

I will, occasionally, buy something for my wife, though...usually peanut butter M&M's.

rascal

Veteran
Local time
5:37 AM
In the States, they have the checkout aisles lined with candy, gum, magazines, the sensationalist newspapers, sometimes little toys, various doohickeys, individual packs of over-the-counter medications, etc. I really hate the fact they put candy and gum in the aisles because I've seen kids have major tantrums because mom/dad said no.
We have the same here at checkout, mags, gum, sweets etc. being a bloke that hates shopping, I'm normally focused on one or two things, and that's all I buy, I can be in a queue and I look at people in front of me and try to pick the one that is the slowest. Normally an old man, who gets everything scanned , then , and only then he gets his wallet our, then proceeds to find a card, it just goes on from there. I'm pretty good at picking the "nanas"
My wife, however will buy stuff at checkout,she's like a magpie, attracted to shiny stuff.

Russ

Herbie

Local time
5:37 PM
Chapstick! I remember that from childhood. Our local (smallish) supermarket always had hand sanitizer by the checkout. No more. Sign of the times.

Mountain Cat

Local time
Very seldom do I impulse buy at the checkout. I have a couple times gotten a bar of dark chocolate, and occasionally a magazine strikes my interest. No, not a celebrity rag, but maybe a Time Magazine special feature on some topic

Top Bottom