What were you cooking/eating 10 years ago?

cookieee

Local time
5:38 AM
Do you remember? If so, since then have your taste buds changed?

I remember how much I used to enjoy pizza and pasta. Now, I don't want anything with tomato sauce on it. For now that is all I can remember, maybe more later. How about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
10 years ago was one year before my wife's health nose-dived (nose-dove?) and nine years after I'd lost just under a hundred pounds.

I mention that because when I was at my fattest and she was hale and hearty, we ate out a lot more, ate out most meals, really, and we ate lots of unhealthy things.
Then, when I had to lose weight, we still went out, but I lived off of "salad, no cheese, oil and vinegar on the side, please."

After her health issues started, we began to eat at home more - not because of her health directly, but because she lost her job due to her health, and we simply couldn't afford to spend hundreds of dollars a week to keep eating out.

So 10 years ago...just before all that crap happened, we were eating out quite a lot, and by then, I was making much better choices, and was much, much more knowledgeable about basic nutrition. When I would cook at home, though, it was pretty standard fare - pasta and red sauce, meatloaf, beef stew, pork and sauerkraut, baked chicken, that sort of thing. Very Americana, very heartland, very comfort food oriented, very Midwest.

I still do a lot of that, but now that we eat out far, far less, I have more room to try different things, and my skill has improved immensely over the years. Maybe more like 15 years ago, I'd be the guy who looked at a recipe that said, "...fold the whipped egg whites into the batter..." and have thought, "What the hell does that even mean? How do you fold an egg? Are they crazy? This has to be some kind of joke cookbook!"

A few things I have noticed over the years is that there are a few herbs that I no longer use. And also, the use of recipes seem to increase every year. 10 yrs. ago, a 3" binder holds 5 years of recipes made, now a 3" binder holds only 2 years worth of recipes made.

Last edited:
Ten years ago I was cooking similar things to what I do now. Except where I used to cook North Indian style curries with heavy sauces I now much brefer a lighter Thai style curry instead. I don't eat quite so much pasta either, in fact I generally eat fewer carbs these days.

Which herbs and why, do you think?
Tarragon, rosemary, mint. I don't know why. I just developed a dislike for them. I was never like that some years ago. It might have something to do with getting older.

Tarragon, rosemary, mint. I don't know why. I just developed a dislike for them. I was never like that some years ago. It might have something to do with getting older.
I've never liked tarragon, and mint always tastes strange to me in anything other than sweet items (or tea). I'll use it in salads, but I don't particularly care for it.
Rosemary can be a strong taste for some. Here, I usually use half the amount because MrsTasty says, "It tastes like I'm eating an air freshener!" :p:

I don't think that my cooking nor my eating has changed in 10 years. I've lived in Thailand for 20 years now (moved here September 1999) and the only thing different is that my palate is a little more tollerant of spicy foods, chillis in particular. During the previous 6 years I lived in Malaysia and then China so my eating was different during that time.

I was a vegetarian 10 years ago, now obviously not anymore. I have a severe case of Ulcerative Colitis, and had my colon removed a few years ago. This means I am permanently deficient in most animal derived nutrients, like Vit D and b12 . I get both through injections, but also eat meat and dairy to keep my intake as high as possible. Through my experience I learned that a vegetarian diet is not suitable for everyone, though cases like mine are exeptional. It made me more compassionate towards those who want to support animal rights, but say they can't go without animal products for some reason.
I do insist that whatever meat I eat is organic and raised humanely, I prefer to buy it directly from a farmer so I can see the conditions the animals are kept in.

Otherwise not very much has changed, except that losing my colon also means I have trouble digesting leafy greens, beansprouts, mushrooms, corn and certain cabbages and pulses. Also too much whole wheat causes problems, so I have some limitations in my diet but I've learned to deal with them pretty well without feeling deprived.

I'd say my cooking has changed quite dramatically - I used to cook large meals to feed 5 adults. So lots of casseroles, oven bakes, stews, pasta dishes. Although I did experiment it was more limited and I never really attempted any 'high end' cuisine.

Now I am far more experimental, rarely cooking the same dish twice, stretching imagination to the limits of how an ingredient can be used. Also making high end dishes and attempting to serve them in a 'fine dining' plating style. Taking far more care how dishes look when served too (as they get photographed).

Its really a complete transformation and I barely recognise that former self.

Many new discoveries since 10 years ago, but not so much fresh (shot or caught by myself and Karen) seafood. Not so many repeat meals on a weekly basis as before.

Back
Top Bottom