What were you cooking/eating 10 years ago?

10 years ago was just after I got ill. I lost 19kg in 6 months. I was finally diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma and Addison's disease. (I told my consultant at the time that she could stop looking for anything else! ).

So we were somewhere along the road in going from a fully vegetarian diet to a fully vegan diet. Mostly I just ditched anything cheese related, switched milks out and used a dairy free marg instead of butter. The UK even then had soya cream, so cream or sour cream was an easy change.

I guess we eat much more spicy food now. I'm much better at knowing my herbs and spices but we've always had a good range of them in the cupboard and in the herb patch. I grew (still do) many herbs of my own even back then.

We used a lot of different food stuffs (hemp flour, teff flours, all sorts) even back 10 years ago. So there would not be much change there. I guess I use many more dried beans and pulses now. In the past i would just buy a tin of something and open it. Now I'll soak it overnight first before cooking it.

The only major change would be that I'm more experimental with food preservation and I make my own dairy free cheeses (I made my own dairy cheeses, yoghurt and butter prior to getting ill so not much has really changed except they are dairy free now! )

Great question, cookieee. 10 years....that's a long time. The big changes are that I eat healthier than I did back then, and I eat MUCH better than I did back then. The reason for both is because I started taking cooking seriously about 5 years ago. Before then, I would sort of try to watch what I ate. I wasn't gorging myself on whole pizzas and bags of chocolate, but I also wasn't really trying all that hard to make my intake healthier. I would boil a hot dog every so often, or make a box of macaroni and cheese, but nothing that anyone would consider to be cooking.

Once I realized what a lot of people have know for a long time - that I can control what I eat if I'm the one making it! - things started to change. I now make things exactly the way I want them to taste, with the added benefit that I can usually substitute healthier components without hurting the taste.

As for things that I used to like back then vs. now, I've always been open to trying new foods. I am much pickier when it comes to things like pizza and hamburgers: if I'm going to eat something unhealthy, it had better be amazing!

Ten years ago, yesterday, I made this - Recipe - Ragu It was delicious. We made it again for the 4th of July 2018. DH liked it, but to me it was not as good as before. Tried it again this past Jan. Same results. I am so disappointed. I wonder if it has anything to do with the difference in the way meats are raised nowadays?

Last edited:
10 years ago was just after I got ill. I lost 19kg in 6 months. I was finally diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma and Addison's disease. (I told my consultant at the time that she could stop looking for anything else! ).

Oh how awful, I know what Addison's disease is, they were concerned I was getting it too when I started to respond less to prednisone but thankfully I dodged the bullet. Is it managable for you now?

Oh how awful, I know what Addison's disease is, they were concerned I was getting it too when I started to respond less to prednisone but thankfully I dodged the bullet. Is it managable for you now?
It's hard. Daily hydrocortisone tablets. Total lack of feelings. But I'm great in an emergency, can't panic!

2 Saturday's ago a motorcyclist came off his vintage Vincent bike in front of me whilst we were doing 100kph. I didn't bat an eyelid over it. Just did what was needed using our vehicle as a road block with hazards on whilst we all came to a stop. He walked away with scraped knees and 1 elbow scraped. Nothing worse. People behind me had been way too close. They were more shaken up than us or the motorcyclist! Turned out he was an experienced racer so thankfully knew how to fall and had spun repeatedly on his back like a turtle. His leathers and thick jeans had done their job in turn (both needed replacing but). Bike sadly was close to a right off but was repairable with time (mostly sourcing parts). But not panicking means I'm totally clear headed in times of an emergency. But not feeling anything at all is really difficult to deal with.

The biggest problem is being ill with it, or needing an operation. I have a conflicting condition that causes hypokalemia. Addison's is meant to cause hyperkalemia (during attacks) so sometimes getting the message across can be difficult. Recovery times are roughly double what people say they should be. That's a real pain. If they say you'll be back on your feet inside a week, it will be 2 weeks for me and I now need to be really careful about osteoporosis as well. Yearly iv infusions because I refuse to take tbe only thing the NHS had on offer (weekly tablet that causes acid reflux, which I already have along with known trachea damage). Luckily in Australia there are more choices for treatment and they are quite happy with giving me the yearly iv treatment but it knocked me off my feet for a week last year.

Life was definitely simpler without it.

Ten years ago yesterday, I made this recipe. Recipe - New Orleans-Style Shrimp Now, I don't think I could handle it. It is a little too spicy for me. And I would have to leave out the rosemary. But, back then, this received a very delicious rating from me, so I thought I would share it with you hot heads. lol

MG, that reminded me. Years ago I did have a thread called "For Hot Heads Only". It was very popular. I was surprised how many people like their food hot and spicy. Do you think there would be an interest for it here?

Ten years ago yesterday, I made this recipe. Recipe - New Orleans-Style Shrimp Now, I don't think I could handle it. It is a little too spicy for me. And I would have to leave out the rosemary. But, back then, this received a very delicious rating from me, so I thought I would share it with you hot heads. lol

MG, that reminded me. Years ago I did have a thread called "For Hot Heads Only". It was very popular. I was surprised how many people like their food hot and spicy. Do you think there would be an interest for it here?

Any new threads are welcome!

Any new threads are welcome!
Herbs and spices forum.

A major change for me - I developed a horrendous allergy to all seafoods just about 10 years ago. I can't touch the stuff, and I don't have freshwater fish either, just in case, and I avoid water unless it has been filtered and boiled. Other allergies and intolerances are basically the same although I have to be careful what I eat because of the medications I am on, although in most cases this just means not eating certain foods within so many hours of taking certain medications. I've cut meat and poultry down to a couple of times a month, and nearly all the foods I eat now are organic from trusted sources. I cook from scratch and make all my own bread, cakes, biscuits, yoghurt and some cheese.

This recipe was made exactly 10 years ago today. In my notes, I could not stop talking about how good they smelled cooking and how good they tasted. I also said this - "they just seem to say Autumn to me. Apple butter, apple cider, cinnamon stick"

Recipe - Brown Sugar and Bourbon Ribs

Back
Top Bottom