What were your first-ever kitchen appliances?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:14 AM
Do any or you remember what your first-ever kitchen appliance was? The day that you moved from the nest.

Was it a toaster, coffee maker or hand-held mixer, maybe a blender? Was it when you left the nest, before or after you got married? Usually, when you move out from your parents' place, the first thing that you think about is what you'd love to put in the kitchen!

I had some things like cookware & such in my room until I moved out. That was in the spring of '73. I thought about everything imaginable for the kitchen. My imagination ran wild!! :wink:

I moved into a bed-sit in a cramped attic. It came furnished with a single ring electric Baby Belling stove. It was a counter top affair - the size of a toaster oven if I recall. But as I couldn't cook anyway it didn't really matter. I think I used it to heat up soup from a tin or baked beans.

Last edited:
First flat we moved into with a baby was in 75, I was 17 and we had pretty much nothing, we had known we were setting up home so I used my mums account and paid it back as we used it, my mum and my girlfriend bought sheets towels cutlery dinner set etc to start us off. My girlfriend was 15, ( we married. 2.years later and still are today) I was earning $75 a week, rent was $17, girlfriend had $20 for house keeping. No power tools or kitchen tools what so ever.
Fast forward 2 years and we had a mixer, whizz toaster and jug etc. we also went from black n white tv to a large colour tv, we had the biggest of anyone we knew. Since then all gadgets have been added. Lots are and were gifts from family. Stick blenders and all sorts of gadgets that havnt even been used yet? Who gets an ice maker to take away on holiday with.? Gift from my kids. I really am spoilt!!

Russ

The first kitchen appliance I ever got (not counting the fridge) was a Moulinex Jeannette food processor.

Moulinex-243-Jeannette-Mark-3-Electric-Meat-Grinder.jpg

I couldn't afford the price, so the family collection of cigarette coupons was used to get it. I still have it and I still use it occasionally. The burger press was in use the other night, the juicer gets used if my new food processor is occupied, but the juicer is a bit noisy, and the mincer is far nicer than using the new food processor which of course only actually chops meat rather than mincing it properly. It was bought in 1972.
I also have a Moulinex rotisserie bought at about the same time. I haven't used that for a while because the heat reflecting coating on it is suffering. The last time I used it was about 4 years ago when my oven died halfway through baking some bread. It was finished off in the rotisserie.

I should remember but I'll need to give it more thought. We were married in '72 and bought a second hand mobile home in Runcorn, Cheshire. This subsequently was hauled to Doncaster, Poulton-Le-Flylde, Scunthorpe, Lanark, Grassington, Plymouth, Consett and finally Durham where it was then sold in '82. I think it would probably have been a toaster..

Back
Top Bottom