What will you be watching on TV tonight (2024)?

I remember going to see that when it first came out, as a school event. I probably shouldn’t say this, but the main thing I took from it was, “Geez, this is long!”

Nowadays, of course, three hour movies aren’t unusual, but that was so long back then (when 75-90 minute movies were the norm) that they had an intermission, so we could all go pee.
I didn't see this one in the theater but yeah, glad I was watching at home! I always enjoyed intermission at the theaters.

I went to a "Planet of the Apes" marathon when I was about 11 with one of my my brothers. It was only a buck to see all of them for the day. That was a long day! My mom was happy to have a cheap babysitter...

I remember going to see that when it first came out, as a school event. I probably shouldn’t say this, but the main thing I took from it was, “Geez, this is long!”

Nowadays, of course, three hour movies aren’t unusual, but that was so long back then (when 75-90 minute movies were the norm) that they had an intermission, so we could all go pee.
Oh I was only lamenting the loss of the intermission just 20 mins ago on a FaceTime call with my son.
Why don’t they bring them back? Theres no-one on this earth that doesn’t need a pee two hours after guzzling a large soft drink!

So every ‘epic’ thats been made recently has been watched with people distracted by their bladder or had bits missed because it couldn’t be ignored. I’m sure that’s not what the director really wants.

And I miss that lovely opportunity to queue up inside the actual theatre screen and pay 10 times the true value for a tiny choc ice from someone with a cardboard box hanging from their neck 😂

Mind you the Fall Guy was a nice short film that doesn’t give you numb bum so that was good 👍

Oh I was only lamenting the loss of the intermission just 20 mins ago on a FaceTime call with my son.
Apart from drive-in movie theaters, which would show two movies usually, that was the first time I’d ever experienced an intermission in an American movie house.

We were delighted attending our first movie in the UK, and they stopped the film partway through and had young boys and girls hawking sweets up and down the aisles for 10 minutes, then back to the movie - I thought it was the best idea ever.

Apart from drive-in movie theaters, which would show two movies usually, that was the first time I’d ever experienced an intermission in an American movie house.

We were delighted attending our first movie in the UK, and they stopped the film partway through and had young boys and girls hawking sweets up and down the aisles for 10 minutes, then back to the movie - I thought it was the best idea ever.
It was!
And in some other countries they continue with it.
Some of the cinemas treated a film the same way as a play.
Stop halfway, let everyone go to the bar to refresh their glass.
Very civilised way to watch a film.

All you geezers talking about intermissions reminded me of my university (Music) days.
We had an eminent professor who was an opera fanatic, and he introduced us to Richard Wagner. OMG. I'd been perfectly content with Mozart, Verdi, Puccini... and then, all of a sudden, Wagner.
Sadlers Wells Opera ( I think it's now called the National Opera) ran a Wagner cycle once a year. we went to see Tannhauser and, yeah, ok. Then along came "Der Ring des Nibelungen", a cycle of four operas vaguely related to German/Norse heroic legend. The Rheingold, The Valkyrie, Siegfried, and Twilight of the Gods.
2.30 hrs (no breaks); 3.55 hrs (2 breaks); 3.25 hrs (2 breaks) and an incredible 5 hrs (3 breaks). We went to whole bloody lot, over about 2 weeks. Unbelievable what 22 yr olds will do in the pursuit of knowledge.
All I can tell you is that I've never, ever listened to, or attended a Wagner opera since :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

All you geezers talking about intermissions reminded me of my university (Music) days.
We had an eminent professor who was an opera fanatic, and he introduced us to Richard Wagner. OMG. I'd been perfectly content with Mozart, Verdi, Puccini... and then, all of a sudden, Wagner.
Sadlers Wells Opera ( I think it's now called the National Opera) ran a Wagner cycle once a year. we went to see Tannhauser and, yeah, ok. Then along came "Der Ring des Nibelungen", a cycle of four operas vaguely related to German/Norse heroic legend. The Rheingold, The Valkyrie, Siegfried, and Twilight of the Gods.
2.30 hrs (no breaks); 3.55 hrs (2 breaks); 3.25 hrs (2 breaks) and an incredible 5 hrs (3 breaks). We went to whole bloody lot, over about 2 weeks. Unbelievable what 22 yr olds will do in the pursuit of knowledge.
All I can tell you is that I've never, ever listened to, or attended a Wagner opera since :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

You heard Wagner and were blown away, went to a marathon of operas and it put you off him for life? Is that right?
Amazing what a torture chamber can do to your tastes?! 😂

As always I'm a couple years behind everyone and am now watching the X-Files.

I used to watch this with my mother...when I was 7. My dad worked shifts and we were sometimes home alone at night, she enjoyed watching X-Files but she was afraid to watch alone, so she asked me to watch it with her. Then she would fall asleep, leaving me alone to watch a horror series about aliens.

As always I'm a couple years behind everyone and am now watching the X-Files.

I used to watch this with my mother...when I was 7. My dad worked shifts and we were sometimes home alone at night, she enjoyed watching X-Files but she was afraid to watch alone, so she asked me to watch it with her. Then she would fall asleep, leaving me alone to watch a horror series about aliens.
Sorry for laughing. I hope you weren't too traumatized.

Adam Richman, he has been travelling around trying local dishes..Lancashire hotpot etc...this evening his programme is from here no doubt at curry houses, apparently that is all we have around here :facepalm:

Adam Richman, he has been travelling around trying local dishes..Lancashire hotpot etc...this evening his programme is from here no doubt at curry houses, apparently that is all we have around here :facepalm:
...so he's going to start a programme called "Man vs Phaal" ??🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️

We have all those…on VHS.
I was watching a show last night about the rise and fall of Blockbuster and the beginning and shooting star of Netflix. I remember getting VHS tapes from Blockbuster. It was funny because the CFO thought that moving to DVD would be a waste of money and that DVDs were a passing phase. He was partially right since now everything is streaming, but he thought that DVDs would fail and VHS tapes would be what people went back to. It was really interesting, though.

We still have a DVD player and some DVDs, we also still have some VHS tapes in a box somewhere. I don't know if hubby stashed the old VHS player somewhere in the basement or not...

I remember double features at indoor movies AND Drive-Ins with intermissions and cartoons and travel log (sometimes news or a fundraiser (and the house lights would go on if indoor) and people would come around to collect donations) before the movie.
The dancing popcorn, soda cups, ice cream and hotdogs etc. would be a laugh.

I didn't see this one in the theater but yeah, glad I was watching at home! I always enjoyed intermission at the theaters.

I went to a "Planet of the Apes" marathon when I was about 11 with one of my my brothers. It was only a buck to see all of them for the day. That was a long day! My mom was happy to have a cheap babysitter...
I saw them one by one as them were released. I don't like the new versions.

Back
Top Bottom