What would you choose?

Back then, the only "burgers"we could find were Wimpy's, and they were dire. A big, fat, juicy burger, straight off the grill, served with dill pickles and a little tray with ketchup, mayo and diced onions, plus a huge plate of "French Fries"was something totally exotic for us students. Add to that, the latest rock music reverberated all through the café at all times.
Nowadays, where virtually every pub has a selection of burgers on the menu and you've got loads of burger choices, I'd agree - it does look pretty generic.
I showed the photo to my ex-girlfriend ( now a very, very dear friend) the other day when we went for coffee. "OOOOHHH! " she said, "we went there after Chris and Jerry's wedding!"
...and I'm wondering "who the heck are Chris & Jerry? Does she mean Tom & Jerry??" :hyper: :hyper: :cool:

To be honest I prefer a small menu, too much choice makes it difficult to decide.

I'll say one thing for Wimpy (cos there is only one thing it had going for it) and that's you got real crockery, a cup and saucer for your tea. The replacement (plastic coated paper cups) ruined tea in fast food outlets forever!
The first time we went to London (December 1992), I was mainly on the lookout for a Wimpy’s, because one of my favorite movies is Bedazzled, with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, and poor Dud’s character worked at a Wimpy’s.

The first time we went to London (December 1992), I was mainly on the lookout for a Wimpy’s,
I really hope you missed it...
My first visit to the USA was in October, 1974, and our first stop on the road was in New Brunswick, where they had burgers, grilled in front of your eyes, on a huge grill which looked about a mile long to me. About 3,000 light years away from the grungy Wimpys I'd been used to.
As for Peter Cook and Dudley Moore: I studied at the same place as Dudley Moore for a year. My professor was the same, and he confided that Dud never, ever arrived on time for Evensong. However, he did admit that Dud was one of the greatest musical/artistic talents who had ever passed through the college.
I can watch "10", or "Arthur"a thousand times and will be in tears of laughter every time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Help me order, I’m killing time until 7PM, waiting on MrsT:

IMG_8103.jpeg

I'm partial to the Caesar - especially as they specify with anchovy. it's incredible how many places put a Caesar on you with no anchovy "because people don't like anchovy" - like people! that's the dish!! order a lettuce salad if you don't like anchovy!

I'd do the mussels - baked? in the shell? need to explore that one a bit....

the rest are too variable for a sure bet. e.g. my preferences for brussel sprouts is rarely met by restos . . .

Back
Top Bottom