What your significant other does with food and drink that annoys you?

You have dinner so early. At my parents house dinner was at 9PM sometimes later. I often have dinner after 8PM, some days I have dinner at 7PM and people tell me I dine early!

That's largely a culturally determined factor. Warmer countries usually eat later. We eat at about 16.00/17.00 in the afternoon, that's even early by Dutch standards. But that way my bowels don't keep me up at night.

That's largely a culturally determined factor. Warmer countries usually eat later. We eat at about 16.00/17.00 in the afternoon, that's even early by Dutch standards. But that way my bowels don't keep me up at night.

Indeed it is. I remember one of my american colleagues was shocked that we finished dinner at 11PM and then go clubbing all night long :D

You have dinner so early. At my parents house dinner was at 9PM sometimes later. I often have dinner after 8PM, some days I have dinner at 7PM and people tell me I dine early!

I always have dinner late too. I think of dinner being after 8 pm. For me its often 9.30 to 10.30 pm. If I ate it at 6pm I'd be hungry again by the time I went to bed (usually midnight to 1 am).

Lately though I'm giving my partner dinner at 7.30 pm. His dementia means he sleeps a lot and will be in bed from 8.30 pm to 6 am the following day. Its OK by me. I get my evenings free and eat when I like.

I'm usually in bed sometime between 9:30PM-10PM, as my alarm clock (the dog) gets me up between 5AM-5:30AM for her morning toilet break, and once I'm up, I'm up.

Morning Glory my family had the tradition of eating late (2PM, usually 3PM for lunch and then 9PM for dinner), but I like to eat relatively early (12PM is my lunch time, some days I have dinner at 7PM). Lately I'm finding myself having dinner later (after 8PM) and my bedtime is close to your and I always need to eat something before bedtime, usually an yogurt.

People in the USA generally eat earlier. Over here dinner is often a large or heavy meal and it tends to be hard to sleep on a very full stomach. When we had young children at home, we ate around 6-6:30 at the latest so that they could bathe and be ready for bed by 8-9. When we both had to get up early for work we also tended to eat earlier. Nowadays, hubby and I eat much later. In the summer we sometimes eat as late as 10, but I try to dial it back gradually as the days grow shorter and it gets dark quicker. Now we eat around 9 most of the time. But other people we know are always amazed and sometimes critical that we eat so late.

Ok, here's one, fresh from today:

We drove to the international market, 45 minutes away. We knew we'd need to stop for lunch before we got home.

We arrived at the parking lot:

Me: Ok, let's work out where we're going for lunch now, so we're not scrambling later trying to figure it out. I know there's a Penn Station right up the road-

She: Oh! Penn Station! I love their reubens!

-but there's also Jolly's over here, which is only over here, and we have Penn Station not far from the house.

Oh, that's right! Jolly's! Let's go to Jolly's! We haven't been there in two or three years!

Inside for the 90 minutes or so, doing our shopping, then back out to the car, packed things away, got in, confirmed again where we were going for lunch, and headed to Jolly's, about 15 minutes away.

Along the way:

She: Oh, look! Rally's! I love their fries! We could go to Rally's!

Me: I thought we decided on Jolly's!

Yeah, that's right. I love their root beer!

Not 60 seconds later:

She: Look! Sonic! I have an online coupon for Sonic! We could use that!

Me: WE'RE GOING TO GODDAMM JOLLY'S!!! JOLLY'S!!!

Well, you don't have to yell about it! 😤

Everyone in her family are exactly the same way. No decision on where to eat is ever final. Ever. Me, once a decision is made, it's made, and that bit of my brain is settled and can move on to other things. I don't even see other restaurants along the way. Short of finding out a place is closed, once it's decided, it's done.

And talking about the complaining:

Went to Jolly's, and she ordered a burger, onion rings, and a large root beer. I had a footlong with everything and a diet Mountain Dew.

Let the complaining commence:

She: This burger isn't very good.
Me: What's wrong with it?
She: Well, the meat is too cold, and the bun is too warm.
😒

A few minutes later:

She: Ugh, these rings!
Me: What's the matter now?
She: The breading is...funny. And the onion doesn't taste like a real onion.
Me: I'm sure that's not a fake onion!
She: I didn't say it was fake; I said it tastes fake!
😒😒

A few minutes later:

Me: How's your root beer?
She: It's really good!

<wait for it...>

She: But the straw is one of those cheap, thin ones. I mean, really!

<holds up straw and bends it>
😒😒😒

And the icing on the cake, after we'd finished:

She: How was yours?
Me: It was fine.
She: It looked a lot better than mine. I should have had yours.
😒😒😒😒😒

We are still in winter mode here, wife moves upstairs at 7.30 to catch up her programmes. In summer we eat a lot later as its lighter. It's dark around 6ish ATM.

Russ

My wife was addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. I tasted it once... ONCE! How do you drink that stuff?

CD

When I drink soda or "pop", it is diet Coke as I can't stand regular Coke. Recently I started searching for Birch Beer and no store locally carries it and nothing available on the net is reasonably priced. I'll drink Vernor's sometimes.

I grew up in the US in the 1960s and up. Standard US dinner/supper time was between 5:00 and 6:00. My parents still eat at 5:00. It is how they were raised.

CD
That's when we ate when I was a kid. Dad has always adhered to a precise schedule, and he walked through the door each weekday at 5PM on the dot, and Mom was always in the middle of cooking.

My wife was addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. I tasted it once... ONCE! How do you drink that stuff?

CD
If it's mixed right (meaning a fountain drink at a fast food place), it's ok, but it usually isn't. This one wasn't. :(

I grew up drinking waaaaay more pop than any 10 people combined. My dad worked for Pepsi, we had a working fountain on the back porch, he got a free case every week, and he brought home all the dented cans. Us kids lived on Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper (bottled locally by Pepsi), and Teem (remember that?). I drank pop from the minute I got up until my head hit the pillow.

Nowadays, I might have one can of diet pop, split with MrsTasty, a week, and that's it.

When I drink soda or "pop", it is diet Coke as I can't stand regular Coke. Recently I started searching for Birch Beer and no store locally carries it and nothing available on the net is reasonably priced. I'll drink Vernor's sometimes.
For whatever reason, birch beer is associated with the Amish, so it's plentiful around here. I've got a 12 pack of diet sitting in my garage right now.

If I ever have reason to come to Miami, I'll absolutely bring you a load of it. My BIL loves diet Big Red red pop and can't get it where he lives (six hours from us), so I always bring him eight 12-packs when we go over.

Back
Top Bottom